Backplates: FredT vs S&W Metal vs Koplin vs AUL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll have to check out the costs yourself, but most backplates are fairly similar. As Scubaroo said, they have holes for mounting and slots for webbing. And a couple of bends in the plate.

I own a Halycon and a FredT. They are both great, and very similar in design (although one is SS and one is AL).

I would say that this isn't something to lose sleep over. Pick one you can afford and that peaks your interest. I doubt you can go wrong with ANY of the picks.

Just one caveat. Make sure it will fit your wing.

I'm not so sure I've read or seen anything bad with any of the plates listed...a plate is a plate...all basically the same, all with bends, all with holes for wings, and all with slots for webbing...

It is like getting a screwdriver from Craftsman, Snap-on, Husky, or Lowe's.......it is a screwdriver, but some have different handles and names.

Pick one and go.

mleong once bubbled...
Just did some research, FredT is AUL.

AUL sells my Stainless plates, but makes their own aluminum ones.

There is currently no link to my gear, but an e-mail address from you via PM or e-mail gets all the info by return e-mail.
FT

Aside from a plate is a plate....pretty much true.

If you buy a Fred T. you get a guy who knows almost everything about metal science and diving. He does what it takes to make you happy.

He can talk about diving for hours and it's facinating.

He is like Bob3 in that way-one of the originals.

My plate is a thing of beauty.

Thanks you all for the input. At least it helps to clear things a bit for me. Just need to figure out which will be more suitable for me, SS or Al.

Thanks again

Michael

If you are diving singles, I would probably get a SS back plate. When I dive singles and dry suit, I use a Fred T heavy SS plate (think it is 11 lbs). I bought it from Fred in the finished condition, and it is of a very fine craftmanship. I use it with HP 120 tanks and this has enabled me to remove a lot of weight from my weight belt.

Sincerely

Anders

detroit diver once bubbled...

Just one caveat. Make sure it will fit your wing.

A little beyond that, If you want to dive singles some plates are cut for tank straps and these will match up with holes in your wing (or not). Some plates do not have the slots for the cam straps so you would have to use a STA.
I bought mine as a matched set at a dive shop. If you start mail ordering parts you will have to know they match up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom