Sea World.... so much fun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheezy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
WOW... I'm 24 and had never been to Sea World. IT WAS FANTASTIC... almost made me want to quit my job and become an animal trainer.

Anyhow, the place is a great way to learn about some really unique species... If you've never been, I highly reccomend that you go check it out.

THIS PART WAS AMAZING:
We stayed late until close at 11pm. We decided to check out the Orca's in the under ground viewing area. We walked down to find a couple and thier son (about 3 years old)... and that's when I saw it. The child had his head on the glass and there was a baby orca with it's face right there making it's whale sounds. The whale would talk and the child would giggle, taking turns doing this back and forth. I WAS BLOWN AWAY.... completely.

This went on for a good ten minutes, then the mother came over and was trying to get the baby to swim away (as if to say turn off the Human T.V. and go to bed)... the baby refused and continued it's play with the child... the mother got seeminly angry and showed her teeth and kept pushing the baby away. All this for the 5 of us. IT was truely amazing.

BY FAR: the best encounter I've ever had... especially without being underwater.

I just had to share as this place changed me in a way...

Best Regards.....

Which Sea World? I was about to post a reply regarding the Florida park when I realized you live in CA and I shouldn't make assumptions. :)

My sister works at Sea World of Florida, and I'm in and out of the park far more than I should be. My best orca encounter there was a few years ago, with one of the young whales who I think is now in the California park. He was alone in the big pool with underwater viewing and I spent about a half an hour playing with him, going from window to window, ducking down, standing up, and watching him react to me. You're absolutely right... it's a life-changing event to interact with a creature like that.

Julie

it was the San Diego park. It really was amazing.... I can't wait to go back...

Originally posted by wheezy
it was the San Diego park. It really was amazing.... I can't wait to go back...

Wow. The best Orca encounter I had was up at Stanley Park in Vancouver, BC. We missed a birth by a few days, but saw the baby. If I had to come back as an animal it would be an Orca or some other aquatic mammal.

Sea World is 5 minutes away from me! I love going there as well. A couple of years ago i participated in an 24 Hour Underwater Monopoly Game Tournament in one of the tanks. It was great!

By the way wheezy, check out OCN news at 10 PM on Tuesday 8/28/01 The Giant Black Sea Bass show should be airing then!

That's cool Mario.... Hey... Not that I don't believe you but my T.V. says that Sports Talk is on at 10 on Tue??? Wus up with that??

That's the show wheezy. We dove with the anchor from the show... just watch the show buddy... you'll see! Oh by the way, I may have to drive up to the studio tomorrow night too! :D

Looking very much forward to it..... :D

I've been to Seaworld in San Diego a couple of times... but it was back before I got into scuba.

But since becoming a diver in '91 I simply cannot reconcile my love of the underwater world with going to these places. To me it's like going to a circus: you are watching creatures that humans have captured, taken from their natural habitat, and are forcing to perform. (The only circus I go to is Cirque de Soleil -- all people, no critters.)

If memory serves, the Vancouver Aquarium recently decided to close it's Orca exhibit. I'm not sure if they have similar plans for the Belugas. On one hand I'm sad... I have great memories of that place; OTOH, I'm glad that they are setting this example.

BTW, I'm not trying to be condescending or belittle anyone posting in this thread. I'm just quietly voicing my feelings about these places.

~SubMariner~

You are certainly entitled to your opinion SM, I do however feel obligated to explain mine. :D

Places like Sea World though maybe far from the real Aquatic Realm, allow me to get non-divers (and even some divers) interested and excited about the conservation, protection and exploration of our local waters. We don't sit at the Shamu show or the Dolphin show... :nono: we go to the Shark viewing tank and the local waters display This gives people an idea of what we have (or could have) in a healthy ocean. And more importantly... what we could lose because of the fragile nature of the environment.

The shows breaks die hard divers hearts, but there is plenty of good that comes from these places as well. One important aspect is that the ticket price allows the staff to rescue many many animals and nurture them back to health before releasing them back into the wild. Further... lots of research gets done at places like Sea World, research that we hope will help us understand more about the animals in our oceans and how best to co-exist on the same planet.

Though watching these beautiful animals jump through hoops saddens me, I will continue to pay my admissions at the door with hopes that some of my money goes to some good.

Just my $.02 ppl :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom