Scuba for the first time - Would affect me on attending a course after it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

momair

New
Reaction score
Hello experts,

I am willing to take the Scuba certificate course day after tomorrow. As they told me, the course will take 4 days in order to be completed and to me to be certified.
The issue is, immediately after these 4 days I have a three days training course (managerial). Do you think that diving will make me tired and can't focus on my training? I have a good opportunity now to take the diving course but if it is going to affect me I would prefer to postpone it.

I am looking for your advice. Thank you all.

If you are in descent shape and are very comfortable in and around the water it should not be much of a problem ... but be honest with yourself.

4 days huh----They running you thru IMO......I would go some other place & spend more time(weeks) in the course, you accomplish 2 things--(1) better training & (2) no possbility of you being tired for your "training course (managerial)."

Hello experts,

I am willing to take the Scuba certificate course day after tomorrow. As they told me, the course will take 4 days in order to be completed and to me to be certified.
The issue is, immediately after these 4 days I have a three days training course (managerial). Do you think that diving will make me tired and can't focus on my training? I have a good opportunity now to take the diving course but if it is going to affect me I would prefer to postpone it.

I am looking for your advice. Thank you all.

Well if you are really fit you might be fine. I know after my OW course I had really bad DOMS for a few days but my course did involve a lot of walking around in scuba gear for shore diving. I am reasonably fit but was just not used to working those muscles. But as far as mental tiredness, no, it didn't really make me tired like that. Unless your managerial course involves a lot of physical activity, I would not be worried.

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your contributions. I decided not go now, and postpone it. I can't afford taking that risk. :)

I would have thought you'd have been fine, the course isn't so physically demanding. If you have a reasonable level of physical and mental fitness you should breeze through it in 4 days. I think taking weeks and weeks to complete the course is a bit of an overkill.

If you're that concerned about the managerial course, it's probably better to be rested and focused for it. But don't give up the idea of getting certified to dive!

It's possible to run through the class in four days, but the advantage of a longer class that's spread out over more days is some time to process, and to formulate and ask questions, and to practice. The better prepared you are for open water diving, the more fun it will be, and the more likely you will be to find it an activity you want to continue to do.

Physically not demanding, but dang if I'd be able to focus on anything other than scuba! You woud've probably been at your managerial course thinking of how fantastic it could be if you could be back under the water!

I would have thought you'd have been fine, the course isn't so physically demanding. If you have a reasonable level of physical and mental fitness you should breeze through it in 4 days. I think taking weeks and weeks to complete the course is a bit of an overkill.

It can be physically demanding. For my course it involved two days of three shore dives a day. They have fairly decent hikes to get to and this coupled with carrying lots of scuba gear that uses different muscles to what I am used to can really tire one out. For the day of boat diving carrying two tanks to and from the boat was tough as well! Of course, these days it's nothing but it took a few times to get used to it!

That being said, if the managerial course is not physical I doubt diving will affect it at all.

Back
Top Bottom