Fins to Teach Open Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bronson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Do any instructors have a view as to what is the best fins to use for teaching Open Water? Thanks

thats kind of a personal issue- you need a fin thats good for sculling, frog kicking (when you watch over divers mid-swimming or while performing basic exercises) but it needs to be fast so you could help students quickly.

The fins you usually dive with.

I use a pair of fins that are available for purchase in the shop. This way when I get the consent question of well would you use these fins when they are getting ready to purchase I can give a experienced answer of how they perform.

I always use a bright colored set of fins as an instructor, normally neon yellow. It allows students to see you quicker in lower viz and the color doesnt bleed out at depth.

I guess it could depend on the type of instructor you are? If you're a kneeler, I don't think it matters. If you hover, I find paddle fins make holding position much easier than split fins would.

I have always used Mares Quattro's, they give good power and performance, and can be used with different finning techniques. Also consider a fin that you could also sell easily to your students.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom