Fresh Water or Salt Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

helopilot2be

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Can anyone tell me why it matters to my new dive computer whether I am diving fresh water or salt water? Will the salinity change the readings or is it something else. And if it really matters what do I set it to when diving in Brackish water? Like the Chesapeake Bay.
Thanks in advance I'm new to diving with a computer
Chris

Unless you know it's sea water, set it to fresh water mode. It may read one foot deeper per ata, but it won't hurt you to be shallower than the computer thinks.

Do all computers make this distinction, or do some just assume fresh water as the more conservative measure? I don't remember seeing any way to set fresh or salt water on my computer.

Chris, in layman's terms, what zaber and muddiver are saying is that your computer calculates your depth by measuring pressure. Saltwater is denser than freshwater, so you're computer needs to know whether you're diving salt or fresh in order to translate the pressure it's measuring into an accurate display of depth.

sdorn - I think some computers assume fresh and some assume saltwater. Some even know without you having to tell it. My bottom timer reads only in ffw (feet fresh water), it's up to me to convert to saltwater depth (which I never do, since the difference is only about two feet at 66ft depth, it's more or less immaterial to your dive).

some computers (like DiveRite's Nitek series) have an option to switch between the two, some computers use the ffw mode for conservatism...

some computers base the fresh/salt mode on the pressure when they turn on. If the pressure when it turns on is lower than some specific value, the computer assumes the water is fresh, and may set the computer to altitude mode (but that's a separate thread).

Thanks. I was just curious why my computer wants me to set that parameter.

Selecting "fresh water" or salt water" will affect the depth in feet that is displayed on the screen during the dive and saved for download. As has been pointed out, dive computers sense pressure and then mathematically convert this number into fsw (feet salt water) or ffw (feet fresh water) for display purposes. The different densities of salt water and fresh water cause their pressure-depth conversion equations to be slightly different. A computer calibrated for fresh water will display a 3% depth error in salt water (refer to the above post by zaberman1).

So will this difference affect the way you dive? Practically speaking, no. I'm quite certain, however, that dive computers use the depth conversion in feet to determine the shallow safety stop (10 - 20 fsw or ffw) and any deep stops (if your computer does them at all).

The take home message is: If your dive computer has a special setting for salt or fresh water, by all means use it. If not, it's no big deal.

Happy diving...

Back
Top Bottom