How exactly to select the right port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aaronkok

Registered
Reaction score
HI,

I'm in the process in ordering a new housing + port for my 5d mk2.

I'm a little confused with all the ports with the modular setup. How exactly do i confirm which port to buy?

Here are the lenses which i plan to use UW.

- 15mm Fish
- 15mm + 1.4x
- 35 f1.4L
- 16-35L (maybe)

For 15 fish i need to get the 5510.10,
The 35L I need 5510.22 and for the 16-35, 5510.24, even tho the distance of the lens to body is pretty much exactly the same as the 35L. Can i assume its safe to use the same port body(5510.22) for both 35L and the 16-35L?

Q1 - Do i need to use different port bodies for different lenses, or can i use the extenders?
Q2 - Why does 16-35 require a different port body, when according to the website, the 5510.22 fits lenses that go up to 4.125" in length.
Q3 - according to the website, the 24-70L's diameter is too large, max of 83mm, according to the len's spec sheet, the max diameter is 83mm. Have anyone tried the later year 24-70L which has the recessed af/mf switches? I would really like to use this UW.

Appreciate if someone can drop me a reply so i can place an order tomorrow morning with the distributor here in Malaysia :)

Q1 - Using different port bodies is best because you eliminate an additional sealing area when installing the extension between the port body and dome.

Q2 - I cannot confirm the exact fully extended length of this lens, however it is likely we called for a slightly longer port body to accommodate an optional +2 diopter on the end of the lens.

Q3 - Although this lens will "fit" into our port systems, the lens zoom ring is too large in diameter to operate inside our port bodies. You would need to preset the focal length before diving and go without the zoom feature on the dive.

Regards,

Thanks for the info. I was a little worried about the ports after reading, but with the change, i'm happy now. hehe

Can't wait to get my hands on it :)

Back
Top Bottom