Classic cruise hurghada December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coombsm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello
I am planning my first diving trip from Canada to hurghada from December 11-18th. I am probably going to book the classic cruise from hurghada which includes the wrecks, ras Mohammed, straits of Tiran and glubal.

I am an advanced open water diver with only 24 logged dives. I will be travelling alone .

I am wondering about weather and if this trip is good value for my money
? Has anyone else done this trip?

Thank you.

I don't know this cruise, but I just got back from diving in the Red Sea, and we did some of the wrecks, including the Thistlegorm. I'd go back in a New York minute. Surface conditions were sometimes pretty rough, and we had a bit of current here and there, but we could always work around it. Visibility was always good and sometimes excellent, and the wrecks were fascinating and loaded with life. I wouldn't say it's beginner diving, but man, was it fun!

Hey Mr Calgary.

You will have an absolutely fantastic trip. Some operators call it the "Classic" and some "Northern Wrecks and Reefs" YOu can find some of the dive sites on my website WELCOME TO AZIAB where you also find all the rules and regulations for who-can-dive-where and so on.

The dive sites in this particular area aren't very demanding but the time of year you've chosen can be a bit windy. Normally the boats moore up on the south side of the reef because most of the time the wind comes from the north. Then you'll be taken in a zodiac around to roll in for the dives. If you click on "Liveaboard" you can read all about how zodiac diving is done frome Liveaboards in the Red Sea. You also have info regarding diving with currents in the Red Sea. What to do and what not to do. How to read currents and how to use them and avoide problems.

Under "Dive Site Maps North" You can read up on some of the Dive Sites you will do and an over view of the area.

cool runnings
........a........

Hey Mr Calgary.

You will have an absolutely fantastic trip. Some operators call it the "Classic" and some "Northern Wrecks and Reefs" YOu can find some of the dive sites on my website WELCOME TO AZIAB where you also find all the rules and regulations for who-can-dive-where and so on.

The dive sites in this particular area aren't very demanding but the time of year you've chosen can be a bit windy. Normally the boats moore up on the south side of the reef because most of the time the wind comes from the north. Then you'll be taken in a zodiac around to roll in for the dives. If you click on "Liveaboard" you can read all about how zodiac diving is done frome Liveaboards in the Red Sea. You also have info regarding diving with currents in the Red Sea. What to do and what not to do. How to read currents and how to use them and avoide problems.

Under "Dive Site Maps North" You can read up on some of the Dive Sites you will do and an over view of the area.

cool runnings
........a........

There are usually excellent last minute deals on this trip you can check few websites to find out
At that time of year it will be windy, make sure you have at least a good semi dry suit with you

There are usually excellent last minute deals on this trip you can check few websites to find out
At that time of year it will be windy, make sure you have at least a good semi dry suit with you

Have you ever been in Egypt that time of year Massimo? ;o)

...a...

Samaka
Thanks for all your useful information about Egypt and you have a great website. I am trying to make a final decision the next couple of days about coming to Egypt or elsewhere. Do you think I would enjoy myself better another time of the year? Is December a bad time to come?
Can you explain the chances of seeing dolphins and other large fish on the northern route? My impression is that it is alot of wrecks, I am more into marine life and coral.
Thanks

Samaka
Thanks for all your useful information about Egypt and you have a great website. I am trying to make a final decision the next couple of days about coming to Egypt or elsewhere. Do you think I would enjoy myself better another time of the year? Is December a bad time to come?
Can you explain the chances of seeing dolphins and other large fish on the northern route? My impression is that it is alot of wrecks, I am more into marine life and coral.
Thanks

Coombsm - welcome to a great sport and I hope you have TONS of fun. I would like to make one small suggestion that is meant simply as advice (and since it both on the internet and free think what you will of it)

You may have your AOW, but with less than 24 dives (at least according to your profile) please do not consider yourself an advanced diver! I am getting up pretty darn close and if anyone asks, I say I am an advanced beginner...

Diving is pretty easy until things go wrong and when they do you have to have the skill sets to handle problems once at a time until they are fixed, prioritizing as you go along. This is what makes advanced diving advanced... more things that can go wrong, with greater consequences. Can you dive into freezing water with a dry suit and current and have an out of air and live to tell the tale? Sure... but you would be lucky, not skilled.

At your level there are TONS of places that you will do some amazing diving and build your skill set doing so. Stay away from advanced itiniraries until you are ready for them. When will that be? I have no idea, only you can answer that question.

Again... best of luck to you and welcome below! Treat the ocean and the earth with respect and have a great time!

On the northern route the chances for dolphins are good but slim for sharks. Dolphins are often hanging around reefs like Shaab El Erg, Abu Galawa, Abu Nugar and even Shaab Abu Nuhas. Sometimes you find a zebra shark (some people call them leopard shark) at Raz Siyoul and there is always a chance to see whitetip reef shark here and there like Um Gammar, Shabruhr Um Gammar and Carless. When you dive Ras Mohamed there is always a chance for big stuff.

The time of year is not bad. It might be a bit windy and wavy but on the other hand you will have less boats and divers around because many operators choose to take their boats up in try dock that time of year. The water is a bit colder (around 20 C) but as long as you’ve got a good suit that’s no problem and it makes the water clearer hence better viz.

You don’t have to worry too much about your qualification and number of dives. The Northern route is not that demanding and the guide on the boat will take care of the safety (providing you choose a good operator) and make sure no one is diving out of their experience. I would not recommend you to go for Brother Islands or something like that but Northern Wrecks and Reefs will be fine.

The wrecks on Abu Nuhas are all very easy and even penetrable on a very easy level. Thistlegorm you can descend down the loading holds from above and see all the cool stuff (motorbikes, trucks, airplane wings and more) without Over-Head environment. Rosa Lie Moller might be the only one that you can’t do “full on” but you can still swim over the deck and around the superstructure on about 30 metres.
The wreck of Ulysses is as easy as the wrecks on Abu Nuhas. Dunraven on Beacon Rock is probably easiest of all, maybe with the exception of the Barge on Bluff Point ;o) You will have a fantabulous week!

...a...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom