oms vs. dive rite harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
What is the difference between the oms and dive rite deluxe harness?

LeisurePro says the following about the Dive Rite:

".....two-inch Fastex quick-release at the left shoulder."

But I don't see any quick release like I do on the oms harness.

The Dive Rite is half of what the oms is. Is either one better?

I want the quick release on the shoulder to get out of easier due to my bad shoulders. I hate twisting my shoulders to get of the harness.

Thanks
Mike

My transpac has quick releases on both shoulder straps...

But, with what you said here...

buff once bubbled...

The Dive Rite is half of what the oms is. Is either one better?

I'm not sure if you are talking about price or quality...

I like my transpac so far...

I was going to ask the same question!(oms iq pack vs dive-rite transpak 2)I was at my lds today and they persuaded me out of buying the halycon bp/wing setup. His main points were the 2 inch webing cutting into your sides by your armpit and the lack of d-rings to attach stuff to. I dont really care about the d-rings but i tryed one on and he was right....i could see how the webbing could cause discomfort. I tryed on the oms and it felt better with the wider shoulder straps.

question

Does anybody have any diving experience with BOTH bc's? (oms 100lbs lift bladder, iq harness vs. dive rite transpack w/super wings)

Which one would you choose? Money's not an issue i just want the best!

Unless you know that you really need that much lift, don't get it.
Bigger is not better.

I currently use the OMS IQ paq with 100lb bungee wing. However, I am replacing the 100lb wing with a 45lb wing because the 100lb wing traps a lot of air when diving with a single tank. Other than that, I have no issues with OMS gear. It's well made and the harness is very confortable. I do mostly shore dives and usually have to walk a 200 yards with all of my gear on. One of my buddies just purchased a Halcyon setup and he is complaining about the webing digging into his shoulders. He is looking at getting pads to make it more comfortable.

I am starting to lean away from getting the 100lb lift because its overkill for diving a single al80's. I am going to be diving a cold water setup with a 7mm suit and sometimes with a 7mm shorty over that.

Question #1
I am now wondering if i should get the 45lbs wing w/retrator bands or the 35lbs wing without retrator bands.

question #2
If i did get the 100lb wing (because i might want to dive duals down the road and like having the option their) do you think the trim characteristics would be noticably different than the 35 or 45 lift bladder?

I just ordered the 45lb non-bungied oms wing from LeisurePro for $189.00 The reason why I did not get the 35lb wing was because I do dives off Zodiacs and my BC and all equipment are thrown into the water. I then climb into it while in the water. This means my BC needs to be able to support about 33lbs of weight else it will sink! If you don't do that type of diving, I would go for the 35lb wing. Yes, you will notice a big difference in terms of trim between 100lb and 45lb wing.

Also, if you do a lot of shore diving, you will find it is nice have extra lift in your wing when kicking in and out from shore.

Bands, as far as I concerned, is a matter of personal preference. As far as OMS goes I like their wings with no bands.

35# bladder will provide you with sufficient lift to dive pretty much any size single cylinder.
You might want to consider 45# to accommodate some heavy setups (large steel tank + pony + reel + canister + extra lead for whatever reason) or/and for situations where you feel you may need some extra lift on surface.

And yes, 100# wing will be very different from a 35# one. Ever seen a banded 100# on a single tank? Looks like a hyper-sized, orange-colored Shar Pei dog. Extra drag is guaranteed, trapping air is very likely, and for no benefit whatsoever.

When you go with doubles, you will get another wing for doubles, and it will not be one of the largest expenses. And even for doubles 100# is overkill. :)

Some of those high tech divers complain that bands can get you caught up on stuff-wrecks mostly. This sounds logical.

Some others complain that bands result in a less than streamlined profile. I laugh at this since I don't think they have ever looked at themselves with all their gear on in a mirror-not too sleek no matter what. I could see this being a factor in a current or behind a scooter. But I can muscle a pair of fins pretty hard and I don't believe my profile is changed much by the wing selection-it's all pretty darn bulky. I don't want to swim too fast anyhow.

Now, air trapping and bands- that's another thing. I own a IDI Advantage BC(rated TOP by Rodales-I wondered if they ever tried the thing in the water!) and it almost takes me the whole dive to get the air out of it. This BC has bands all around it. It's just a hassle.

I bought a Dive Rite Rec wing and backplate. I am trying it out this weekend. I am hoping that the wing with its gussets will not trap air but make the WHOLE wing uniformly smaller-not just compartmentalize the wing into a bunch of air trapping cells....

Otherwise I might be in the market for another wing-Ugh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom