Cleaning/disinfecting wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kat.hayes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was given an old filthy wetsuit. What is the best way to clean/disinfect it?

Thanks.

I'd probably start at home with a strong disinfectant soak in something like Lysol and then give it a clear water rinse. I get the impression that it's beyond bothering with sink the stink.

After that I would get it into a FRONT LOADING washing machine and send it for a ride. While I don't advocate machine washing in general Woolite is often mentioned by others.

Pete

Woolite, cold water wash in front-loading washer on delicate.

What is the difference between a front-loading and other type of washer for this?

What is the difference between a front-loading and other type of washer for this?

Top loading washers have that center piece that wacks the ba-jeezus out of your stuff.

Front loading washers have fins on the outer part like the dryer, and it tumbles your clothes through the water.

Gentle cycle runs slower, both in sloshing and in spinning.

Reactions: D_B
Top load will do in a pinch, tho. I always wash my booties in the washer. Haven't had to the wetsuit cause I refuse to pee in it and always soak it with the enzymes stuff anyway.

Great idea, I will try the front loader but what about my wetsuit that has got hard over time? Is there something that will make it soft again?

Great idea, I will try the front loader but what about my wetsuit that has got hard over time? Is there something that will make it soft again?

Fill a trash can with water and stand the wetsuit up in it. as the soaking softens it, fold it over CAREFULLY to fully immerse it.

However, if it is really old, your neoprene may break instead of soften and give. That's just old age (where's my lotion?) that makes things crack as it gets older .. ..

BTW - I always put our wetsuits, booties, etc through a short, gentle cycle with just a tiny bit (teaspoon) of Woolite. They're allowed to dry completely (not in the dryer, it could cause cracking) and then are carefully put away. Not often diving, they come out very clean and flexible and still look like new. (~8 years old).

IMHO, if your wetsuit is so old that the neoprene has hardened, it time for a new wetsuit.

IMHO, if your wetsuit is so old that the neoprene has hardened, it time for a new wetsuit.

Not so hard that it stands up but hard enough to make it difficult to put on.

UsryTregre thanks for that, mine's about 8 years old as well but still in good condition apart from the hardness.

Sorry about hijacking your thread Kat but I was looking for the same answer and rather than start a new thread etc etc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom