Phil Foster/Obnoxious Fishermen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cudachaser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Was diving under the big bridge on Sat. Had a new OW student. These fisherman parked their lines right where you have to make the turn to the pilings. They had at least 4 lines cast way out...entanglement was almost unavoidable...we entangled both going out and in. A fish hook snagged our flag that my wife was carrying. The fishermen became verbally abusive...their lines were unavoidable! Several other dive groups had the same confrontation!

Can we work with Palm Beach County to get the area between the last piling and the final pier off limits to fishing? For the county, that's where they dock their work boats, fishing activity would impede that. It's not like the fishermen don't have other places to go...huge pier etc!

Joe

I have diving somewhat regularly at the bridge for 10 months or so and have only run into a major problem with fishermen once. I find most of the fisherman to be nice and reasonable people, once you talk to them.... I usually try to engage the guys fishing in conversation if they are near the west span entry point before I get in the water or after I get out. Or talk with a fisherman if he has parked beside me and is unloading his fishing equipment. Simple questions like 'catch anything?', 'what are you fishing for?' or I tell them about what I saw underwater (most loved hearing about the snook when the snook were gathering under the pilings a few weeks ago), usually go a long way toward building respect and a cooperation among users of this shared resource. I have even explained to a few guys fishing why they only see divers near high tide, and they seemed interested in what I was saying.

That is not to say you won't run into a few jerks: but I have also run into a few jerk divers at the bridge.

I doubt that you are going to get fishing banned anywhere in the park, especially given that a few of the folks fishing are fishing for their next meal. Not to be holier-than-thou or anything, but I'd suggest you walk around before the next dive and meet some of these guys, maybe even explain your dive plan, how long you plan to be there and when you plan to exit the area they like to fish: and then wish them good luck on their catch. show some interest (or at least pretend to) in what they are doing too. Might not work or might work, if it doesn't, all you have done is waste a few moments and a few breaths. If it does work, you probably built a bit of good will between the fishing and diving communities.

A few moments after the original post:.........Cudachaser: I just re-read my post.... I really am not trying to be preachy, impratical or insulting, just trying to help/come up with a few thoughts/suggestions

I just gotta say...I dove it Friday and there were fishermen there. They were friendly, we spoke with them, and they really tried to NOT hook us. I told one "oh I'm going to get out of your way now" and he said "no problem, you aren't in the way, take your time."

At one point during the dive, my buddy caught my attention and pointed to a chicken rig nearby, but I doubt that it was cast intentionally in order to catch us!

Sportlxh---I think you explained yourself and us as divers well!! We are all sharing a resource, and sometimes, while fisher's hooks are a consideration for being concerned about; I tend to just look up and out for their lines.....and when I see one, I try to swim wide around them! Also, sometimes I figure if their lines are going that way with the tide, I'll stay on the other side of the area (eg, upwind). Seems to work so far.

While I'm usually focused on gearing up and such, I do think it's nice to say "Hi! How's it going!" to fishermen, etc. when the opportunity arises....as sportlxh said, we truly are sharing a resource, and they do have equally as much (if not more, since the pier WAS saved for them) right to be there as we do.

(I do keep a knife/scissors handy if the worst case scenario occurs and I wind up entangled to the point that I can't fix it without cutting their lines).

I realize there's always a crabby sort or two; but, so far I've found with just a hair bit of diligence, I haven't had a problem with fishermen yet.

Last edited:
If there are fisherman there I usually work out of their casting range and then work back into the west span area.

I found several frogfish that way (black and white frogfish), spotted eagle rays, southern stingrays, couple of wrecks that aren't usually seen and a few other things that made the dive worthwhile.

All I am stating here is that I don't see that particular space as an area that is required to turn into the west span of the bridge. I see it only as one of the infinate areas of the bridge... no different than any other area of the bridge span.

If their lines were already set and you tangled in them, I can understand how they could become upset with you. I attempt to avoid their lines and I am usually successful. I have (on one occasion) surfaced while entangled and asked them not to reel in... that I would save them having to re-attach their hook and bait if they didn't reel in... and said I was sorry I caught their lines. The fisherman told me to take my time and we discussed where the fish were that I was seeing underwater. I directed him to another area for better fish.

Was diving under the big bridge on Sat. Had a new OW student. These fisherman parked their lines right where you have to make the turn to the pilings. They had at least 4 lines cast way out...entanglement was almost unavoidable...we entangled both going out and in. A fish hook snagged our flag that my wife was carrying. The fishermen became verbally abusive...their lines were unavoidable! Several other dive groups had the same confrontation!

Can we work with Palm Beach County to get the area between the last piling and the final pier off limits to fishing? For the county, that's where they dock their work boats, fishing activity would impede that. It's not like the fishermen don't have other places to go...huge pier etc!

Joe

That pier should not be used for fishing and have signage installed. Could you not have descended to avoid contact? Or ask them to raise poles for easier passage under lines or ask them to reel in. If no cooperation use your knife or shears after closing ranks.

If there are fisherman there I usually work out of their casting range and then work back into the west span area.

I found several frogfish that way (black and white frogfish), spotted eagle rays, southern stingrays, couple of wrecks that aren't usually seen and a few other things that made the dive worthwhile.

All I am stating here is that I don't see that particular space as an area that is required to turn into the west span of the bridge. I see it only as one of the infinate areas of the bridge... no different than any other area of the bridge span.

If their lines were already set and you tangled in them, I can understand how they could become upset with you. I attempt to avoid their lines and I am usually successful. I have (on one occasion) surfaced while entangled and asked them not to reel in... that I would save them having to re-attach their hook and bait if they didn't reel in... and said I was sorry I caught their lines. The fisherman told me to take my time and we discussed where the fish were that I was seeing underwater. I directed him to another area for better fish.

I agree. An agreement to remedy is highly likely but to swim into set lines is asking for trouble...

Sportlxh---I think you explained yourself and us as divers well!! We are all sharing a resource, and sometimes, while fisher's hooks are a consideration for being concerned about; I tend to just look up and out for their lines.....and when I see one, I try to swim wide around them! Also, sometimes I figure if their lines are going that way with the tide, I'll stay on the other side of the area (eg, upwind). Seems to work so far.

While I'm usually focused on gearing up and such, I do think it's nice to say "Hi! How's it going!" to fishermen, etc. when the opportunity arises....as sportlxh said, we truly are sharing a resource, and they do have equally as much (if not more, since the pier WAS saved for them) right to be there as we do.

(I do keep a knife/scissors handy if the worst case scenario occurs and I wine up entangled to the point that I can't fix it without cutting their lines).

I realize there's always a crabby sort or two; but, so far I've found with just a hair bit of diligence, I haven't had a problem with fishermen yet.

It helps to be an attactive girl such as yourself. The rest of us must strategize...:D

I recommend that in the areas that people typically fish, you surface briefly and look for lines, so you can avoid them. The fishermen are usually there first, so it is really your responsibility to stay away from where they are fishing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom