Sad article on the future of coral reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a bit dubious. Assuming that global warming is a reality, (and that is debatable), most estimates predict the temperature rising a few degrees over a period of a century or so. So if the ocean temperatures get too warm for coral reefs in their present location, I would imagine that new reefs would develop in regions that are currently too cold for them. In all likelihood, global warming should extend the range of coral, not decrease it.

A far better case can be made for coral being threatened by increased concentrations of carbolic acid than by warming ocean temperatures.

If you are really concerned about the destruction of reefs why not sign up with an outfit that re-plants coral. Contact 'Amoray' in Key Largo. They are on the net.
As far as controlling the world's temperature, the entire issue sounds to me like some 60's dorm room discussion over half a dozen beers and a couple bongs.

And even if some of us change our ways, you have huge percentages of people stepping out of poverty and into the modern middle class world every day in locations like China and India. These people are going to want the same luxuaries we have been enjoying for decades so the green house gases are only going to increase. The only way people are going to stop buring fossil fuels is to use up all the fuel in the first place. Change is hard.

I'm a bit dubious. Assuming that global warming is a reality, (and that is debatable), most estimates predict the temperature rising a few degrees over a period of a century or so. So if the ocean temperatures get too warm for coral reefs in their present location, I would imagine that new reefs would develop in regions that are currently too cold for them. In all likelihood, global warming should extend the range of coral, not decrease it.

A far better case can be made for coral being threatened by increased concentrations of carbolic acid than by warming ocean temperatures.

Stop making sense!!! The template is everything on earth is going to die as the plant is boiled in it's own juices because of humans. You'd better get your mind right on this Elmer!!:eyebrow:

Agreed. And that is a far quicker process than global warming.

And even if some of us change our ways, you have huge percentages of people stepping out of poverty and into the modern middle class world every day in locations like China and India. These people are going to want the same luxuaries we have been enjoying for decades so the green house gases are only going to increase. The only way people are going to stop buring fossil fuels is to use up all the fuel in the first place. Change is hard.

That's right these 3rd world types don't know their place. How dare they try to live a better life! It ain't fossil fuel, that was a mistake. Recently hydrocarbons were found on I think one of Saturn's moons. I doubt we'll be finding fossils there also. The earth has gone through many changes before we evolved and it just continues. We just think we're so powerful we can affect it more that earthquakes, volcanos, floods, storms, meteors......and on ...and on. Please were bugs.

It's surprising to me that so many divers (i've heard similar positions on many dive boats) are dismissive of global warming... as in it's not real or has no potential impact on the planet. You would think those of us that make an effort to visually enjoy the environment would be better stewards/advocates of the very thing we love to do.

as far as a warming climate "expanding" reefs?!?! that's crazy, large reefs takes thousands of years to develop, a consistently unstable climate will absolutely not contribute to the expansion of reefs. I will agree that increasingly acidic ocean water is maybe a larger near term threat, along with over fishing, shark finning, and on and on...

Back
Top Bottom