Ease of open heel fin removal and storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrputtputt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I completed my open water PADI today. I did have a hard time removing the fins in calm water entry. The locks release are a little hard to unlatch and of course, gloves don't help with dexterity. I saw other open heel fins have what looks like a metal looking wire around. Are those aftermarket types you can replace yours with? I have a pair of Mares Volo Power. Very happy with them, just even loosing the straps are a little hard (I have to really pull). That or they still need to be broken in after 4 dives.

Also, are those plastic molds critical to storage or when not in use? It's a little plastic insert into the fin. One of my fins didn't have it and I forgot to remove it going to the water and it disappeared after I left it by the stairs (maybe someone thought it was thrash since it's not equipment).

I'd personally just get more familar with the quick release clips on your current fins.

There should be two button clips on each side, press to open the strap and pull back. The Bundgees you reference are $38 -$40 per pair to add. If you just get familar with your gear you'll save some bucks.

I too had the same issue but once you "get the feel" without looking at your fins, they will open up nicely each time.

PS - Congratulations on your certification, you have now joined a club that only 10% of the planet can claim they are a member!

Throw the plastic inserts out for the fins, all new gear takes some getting used to, the Mares buttons that hold the strap will also become more flexible but you want them to be tight to hold your strap, just use the quick release clip/buttons

Last edited:
I personally think the fins work fine with the quick releases vs spending another $40, your call

Spring straps are God's gift to shore divers. Adding a set to your fins will be money well spent. They don and doff with ease. As your fins seat onto your booties they self adjust.

The fact that your fins are hard to remove is a good sign. I means they are marrying well with your boots and working as one. Try grabbing the fin by the side rail to wiggle it off.

The plastic forms that keep the foot pockets from deforming in storage are cast aside by most divers. Just store your fins with respect and they will be fine.

Pete

ok. i'll try getting used to the quick release latches first before donning another $40. That's what I meant by hard to remove, i.e. latches. I was pulling down the straps and though it can work, it's a little hard and there's some struggle while walking back to shore (a little surge today). Plus the anxiety you're doing this while testing and being certified. Another problem I realized is my booties were too low. One bootie pulled off with the fin and the ocean dragged me back out a little. Panicked a little because I had no fins and swimming w/o fins wasn't much help. LOL. Luckily there was a wave I was able to swim in with and get to ground quick.

I figure I need to get more dives and local area (Monterey, CA, USA) will require a 6.5mm suit. I'd like to avoid being certified and only be a vacation diver. So will put that $40 into another area until I really just can't the hang of the latches. There's actually a sliding lock on it and even with 3mm gloves (4 or 5mm back side) dexterity is a challenge or it's just something I need to get used to.

Thanks for the tip on the molds/inserts. We store our equipment pretty well. Can't have $ go to waste by improper handling and storage.

That $40 will be money very well spent towards getting spring straps. You'll wonder why fins are still made with the nylon/plastic straps. You will be able to don your fins off and on in about 2 seconds flat whether your wearing gloves or not. Why spend time "trying to get the hang of the latches?" Get the spring straps and you won't regret it.

Spring straps have the advantage of not having to adjust the straps, not having straps dangle around your foot (and when you are swimming through kelp those straps do get caught), and when just a little bit of practice they don and doff quickly.

If your in NorCal, you'll be glad you spent the money on spring straps. The sooner the better.

One of these decades, an enterprising fin manufacturer will actually sell spring straps as part of the original fin purchase. Might even corner the fin market for a few seconds until all the other manufacturers follow suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom