What BC to Buy ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skeeters

New
Reaction score
Hi all,

As a newbie I'd like your thoughts on what sort of BC to buy. I originally had the idea of a HUB ( Mares Avantgarde ) but after searching and finding the negative feedback towards the HUB have decided against it. I have shortlisted 1 or 2 BC's that I quite like the idea of :

Scuba Pro Glide 3000
Scuba Pro GlideTek
Scuba Pro Pro Pac BCD

Now here's what I'm looking for that may help in selection :

Reasonably light weight as 99% of the time I'll be flying to dive destinations.
Cost isn't really a problem.
Preferably with an intergrated weight system.
Sport diving and recreational use only.

Many thanks,

Skeeters...

skeeters

Looks like you are sold on SP so go to your LDS and try all three. Anyone elses opinion at this point is really useless since they may have a different body type and look for different options in a BC. Your dive shop should find a way for you to try them all in a pool or at their next outing.

With your listed likes, you should know very quickly after you have tried all three. SP makes great stuff so you can't go wrong with that brand of gear.

PS - IMHO you are making the right choice to stay away from HUB. I don't believe they are in the same league of quality.

Thanks 5615mike.

I'm not totally sold on SP products but I've heard they make some pretty decent stuff. So far I've only used the BC's that the dive centre have supplied for my OW and AOW courses so this is my first venture into buying my own kit. To be honest I don't really know what I'm looking for and what's good and bad to look for, so I'm open for any tips. I've always been stuck on the more you pay the better the goods, works with me for wine buying anyway :wink:

Thing is I was planning on sourcing the gear online, but going to the local dive shop, trying on there stuff and then saying thanks very much but I'll buy it else where is not really on. Then again seeing as I'm buying the full kit ( fins, mask, reg, octo, dive comp, gauges, snorkel and boots ) the local shop may sort me out with a decent discount anyway.

Cheers,

Skeeters...:wink:

Online warranties can be tricky. They may be carried by the vendor or be voided entirely. Ask before you buy.

Most shops will give you a discount, especially if you are buying the whole "kit and kaboodle." It might be worthwhile to inquire about this.

skeeters

If you are going to buy on line then check out www.leisurepro.com
They have outstanding prices. Also check with http://www.miamifantasias.com. Call Miami as they sell gear that is not on their website. Warranty. Now, that is a debated issue. LP has their own warranty but I have never had to use it. MF is a licensed dealer for some of the gear they sell so just ask. Ask for Mike I believe. I gave my LDS a shot at my business for mine and my wifes gear. I paid about half what they could sell it to me for as they said I was getting it less than their cost. My Aq.Lung Legend I paid half of retail. I can buy another one if this one shoots craps and still be even.

Anyway, check out LP and you can't go wrong. If you do a seach on this board with Leisure Pro you will find many happy clients.

i have also went thourgh LP to buy all of my dive equip. They are a could company and they stand behind their warrinty. I use a Mares DragonFly AT BC. It is the most awesome BC that i have ever used. The AT is a great device and i highly reccomend that you buy a AT BC. They Really assit you to gain proper bouancy in the water. i use all Mares products and I have been extremely satisfied with them. So I reccomend that you also look into Mares products.(But not the H.U.B.)

Good LUck on buying your equip.:)

I agree with ScubaTex,

As my screen name states, I have a lot of Mares equipment. However, stay away from the HUB. You do not need the headache or the maintenance problems. Having said that, Mares makes great products just as good as SP.

I do not know what kind of diving that you do, but if it is warm water I would suggest you look at the Pegasus or Morphos Air Trim(AT). I have then both (among others) and am very happy with them in warm water. I think the Dragonfly AT is better for cold water diving (IMHO).

If you want a more traditional BC, try the SeaQuest Pro Unlimited. It's a very good BC.

Good luck on your search. No matter what, find a BC that makes you feel comfortable. Best of luck.

Davie Smart, Dive Save
Enjoy the ride
:mean:

Skeeters,

As a new diver as well, I know how
confusing it can be to pick out your gear
for the first time.

As far as BC's go...

I've narrowed my choices down to two.

The Dacor Falcon or the SeaQuest Balance.
These are back inflate bc's
and I have read many positive comments here.

FYI ... both of these are weight integrated.

Consider the Halcyon Pioneer setup or the DUI Delta. The Pioneer is definitely a better option, but some people seem to think that the Pioneer is a tech wing which is very far from the truth. Back mounted BCs are definitely the way to go, but I would look at the disadvantages of weight integration and especially pockets around you before making a decision.

Back
Top Bottom