Sunscreen advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miss Gigl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I'm new to scuba and I'm getting ready to go do my open water dives in Kona in a few weeks.

I'm very fair and tend to sunburn VERY easily, so I'm thinking I need to get the best possible sunblock I can find for the times when I'm out in the sun en route to the dive site or just generally above water.

Does anyone have an suggestions on what works best for going in and out of the water a lot? Or should I just keep reapplying?

Also, is it possible to get sunburned below say 10 or 20 feet?

(Sorry if these are silly questions! I feel like such a n00bie!!!)

Meg

Gigi- Pick yourself up a diveskin. It will protect almost your whole body from the sun while topside, and stings/abrasions underwater. The Lycra ones will not change your buoyancy or hinder your movement. Any waterproof sunscreen (Bullfrog etc...) will protect your face and hands, and as fair as you are, you should definitely play it safe and re-apply often. Have a great time in Kona!

This may sound disgusting but I recommend getting a spray one so that you can use it on your head aswell if you are that fair.

I am typical Irish, red hair, freckles and pale skin. I took great care applying sunscreen every where that was exposed but forgot about my scalp which when on a boat in high sun got quite burnt! Made me miserable for a few hours and I learned my lesson :wink:

I found a spray on product specifically designed for the head and scalp. It sprays on like a hairspray. It seems to work some, but again, reapply often. I think I still got some burn on my head, but not as much as I had gotten in the past.

I can't remember the name of the product, but it is in a clear bottle with a pump sprayer top and is sold in the sunscreen aisle.

I've never seen one for your head in the UK - I'll have to have another look in the pharmacies and stuff cause that would be so much nicer that nivea sun screen in my hair :wink:

Miss Gigl once bubbled...
Does anyone have an suggestions on what works best for going in and out of the water a lot? Or should I just keep reapplying?

Also, is it possible to get sunburned below say 10 or 20 feet?

Meg
The main sunburn problem is during the boat ride and surface interval.

There are dozens of suitable sunscreens. I prefer Coppertone spf 45. Bullfrog spf 36 also works well, but has a greasier feel that some people don't like.

It might just be my imagination, but is seems like my skin absorbs and retains sunscreen from the multiple applications of the first day out in the sun. If I don't burn the first day, then rarely do I have a problem later, even if I get more cavalier about application.

You might consider lathering up in sunscreen the day before your trip, or during your travel day.

I'm fair skinned as well sensitive......brown hair and eyes....but very pale complected.....ahh, that english blood!

I agree with ScottyK...get a lycra skin. I have several that I rotate throughout the week sozzling out in the bathroom sink with a little shampoo between wearings. That will take care of your entire body except feet....(don't forget the tops of your feet!!), hands, neck and face.

For my face I've got a stick type sunscreen 45+spf that's waterproof and made for babies. As I said, my skin is sensitive and regular sunscreens either make me breakout or sting my face like he!!. For the rest of my body I've got a 35spf also made for babies in a cream. It's also waterproof.

So, if you're on the sensitive side...be sure to look at the sunscreens for babies.

And don't forget a wide-brimmed hat with a stringy-thing. I've got a canvas and mesh combo from REI that I ALWAYS travel with....it the sun is out, it's on my head, even on boats....cinch up the stringy-thing and it won't blow off. I've also got one of those hats with the snap on/off drape on the back to protect ears and neck.

The suggestion to get a dive skin is a really great one. One of my friends is a big believer in this, and got some really cool lycra skins from www.divegoddess.com. They have some spiffy designs like tiger skin, rattlesnake, etc.

Another thing I wanted to bring up is about Biodegradable Sunscreen. On a recent trip to Cozumel, the dive operators were letting everyone know that the normal waterproof sunscreens that people use are killing the corals. The worst case is if you put on the sunscreen less than an hour before diving. They strongly suggested that you use a biodegradable brand, or the corals are going to be in poor shape in 10 years.

Unfortunately they did not tell anyone what brand was appropriate, and I could not find any in Mexico. Does anyone know anything more about this?

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom