M-1 or M-2 Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbrich

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am looking at getting another Mask, and I am looking at the M-1 & M-2 mask. Does anyone have any experience with either one?

I've recently bought the Onyx (M1). After about 15 ocean dives I've got to say the the glass is much clearer than my previous masks (2009 Cressi Evolution or Scubapro Scout). In addition to being very clear, the glass seems to keep colors a little more natural. The silicone is very supple and comfortable after long dives. You get great value for the price.

IMG_0716.jpg

Even with the great quality glass and silicone my favorite feature must be the strap-keeper.

IMG_07152.jpg

All-in-all a great purchase and well worth the premium price.

Hi Guys,
Was thinking of getting the M2. Does the M2 contain the same glass as the M1? Saint Gobain Diamant - Crystal Clear Lens.
Does anyone have a comparison against the atomic Framless, normal mask (ie not the ARC)

Thanks in advance!
alex

Hi Guys,
Was thinking of getting the M2. Does the M2 contain the same glass as the M1? Saint Gobain Diamant - Crystal Clear Lens.
Does anyone have a comparison against the atomic Framless, normal mask (ie not the ARC)

Thanks in advance!
alex

I have both the atomic frameless mask and the Hollis M1. For me the Hollis is far more comfortable and provides a better field of view and clarity. Actually I don't like the atomic frameless at all, and the Hollis M1 is the best mask I have tried so far. I have not tried the M2 yet.

I have both the atomic frameless mask and the Hollis M1. For me the Hollis is far more comfortable and provides a better field of view and clarity. Actually I don't like the atomic frameless at all, and the Hollis M1 is the best mask I have tried so far. I have not tried the M2 yet.

I am just the opposite. I find the Atomic more comfortable. I find the Hollis much too stiff. It really is personal preference.

I have been diving for years (28) and can dive for free I might add most any mask on the market and as for the fit,clarity and comfort and field of view( like the old school single lens) the hollis m-1 is my mask

Hi guys,
thanks for the answers! Any chances you guys had a chance to compare the M1's against an Oceanics shadow? I find the shadows neoprene a bit un-nerving... It just doesn't have a grip on your the back of the head I felt. That being said, most of the instructors in our shop are using that. I guess the high price of a hollis mask here in signapore (double that of Hollis's M1 and M2) may be the reason.

As for the vision, I found the M2 had better a lateral field of vision compared to Atomic frameless, but the Atomic had better downward field of vision. Got to try the M1 unless Nick Hollis is able to inform which Hollis mask has a better field of vision? :wink:
alex

Hi guys,
thanks for the answers! Any chances you guys had a chance to compare the M1's against an Oceanics shadow? I find the shadows neoprene a bit un-nerving... It just doesn't have a grip on your the back of the head I felt. That being said, most of the instructors in our shop are using that. I guess the high price of a hollis mask here in signapore (double that of Hollis's M1 and M2) may be the reason.

As for the vision, I found the M2 had better a lateral field of vision compared to Atomic frameless, but the Atomic had better downward field of vision. Got to try the M1 unless Nick Hollis is able to inform which Hollis mask has a better field of vision? :wink:
alex

Ok, it seems you like the same type of masks than me :cool2:. I started with an Atomic frameless and did not like it, then got an Oceanic mini-shadow and loved it (I have tried my husband's full sized shadow and it works equally well). After putting around 200 dives on my mini-shadow it is turning seriously yellow and I decided to try for a new mask, that is when I got the Hollis M1. It is a fantastic mask and I really like how it fits. Now my configuration is M1 as primary mask, mini-shadow in pocket and the Atomic is gathering dust. I consider the shadow and mini-shadow to be really great masks and fantastic value for money, most people I have met that use one are very happy with them. I would not worry at all about the neoprene backing, it is not meant to have a "grip" on you, just lightly hold the mask against your head ... in fact I changed the strap on my Hollis to a nylon+neoprene strap, as those are my favourite.

Good luck with your search for a good mask!

Back
Top Bottom