How deep after annual servicing of reg, BC or BP/Wing?

How deep for newly serviced reg, BC equipment?

• I try it in a pool before any OW dives.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • 0 - 30 feet (Open Water)

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • 30 - 60 feet (Open Water)

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • 60 - 80 feet (Open Water)

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • 80 - 100 feet (Open Water)

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • 100 - 130 feet (Open Water)

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • > 130 feet (Open Water)

Votes: 14 17.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BEM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
After having your annual reg, BC or BP/wings serviced what are your diving habits. Are you willing to trust the equipment 100% and dive deep, or take it to the pool to check it out?

Also, how often do you monitor the equipment for proper operation? - on the 1st versus subsequent dives.

Assume that the conditions are favorable: non-strenuous dive, normal temp for you, no surge or current, good vis. etc.

I would stay shallow your first dive - there's too many instances of regs failing immediately after a service. You want to be shallow so that any failure is easily handled.

Personally my gear will never see a swimming pool with chlorine in it if I have the choice.

I prefer a relatively shallow (40-50 fsw max) open water dive to check out the equipment after servicing. So far I've not experienced any equipment problems ... but humans are fallible, and even the best service techs occasionally make a mistake.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am less concerned about my primary given I have a pony bottle with me. However I generally do about 5-10 shallow (50' or above) dives on my regulator after it has been serviced. After that I am more comfortable doing my deeper dives on it.

Dr. Bill

I do my own annual service work and maintenence so I know the work is done correctly, but I still do a shallow dive initially to ensure everything is properly adjusted. I like to know everything is 100% before going deep.

Thats what springs are for...

Since most of my diving is done during week-long trips to the Keys, I use the local springs for equipment checks before leaving on a trip. New or serviced, everthing gets tested before its packed.

I voted for the deepest box.

The reason is simple. You can check out your gear in shallow water for 10 minutes then proceed to go deeper.

That would be the same as doing a 10 mn checkout dive at 30 ft and then doing a deep dive.

Of course I dive doubles, so I have two independent systems to rely on, and I service my own gear so I know it's done right.

I am with the quick check shallow and continue dive as long as all systems are go school. Even in recreational gear, the worst failure that I would suffer would be a problem with my BC and if worse comes to worse my Drysuit would get me back up. If that wasn't enough, my lift bag would be.

I always have at least two regs and they will not be serviced at the same time.

So, quick check at 10-30 and continue onto my dive. The only reason that I didn't check below 130 is because I haven't received the training to go that deep yet. Even my Accelerated Deco class only allows me to go to 130.

I like to check my gear in the shallow end of a QUARRY. I never put my open water rig in the pool.

~Marlinspike

I service my own regs as well, but I dont trust ANYONE... not even myself.

My gear gets a nice shallow checkout after servicing, and I do as well. I usually service my gear in the winter just before i start diving again up here in NE. So, my first dive of the year is a checkout dive for my gear, and for me. Nothing crazy, nothing deep, just a nice shallow dive. If everything checks out shallow, then I may go deeper, if I feel like it...

Back
Top Bottom