U-352, North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver42

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has any good "been there" specifics about the U-352, off North Carolina. I've looked it up a few places, but found mostly history. Interesting, but not what I'm looking for.

My questions are:

How tight are the entrances/exits?

Are there any/many side rooms?

Avg. depth? (max is 115ft)

Any information on the changing conditions...

Thanks!

This is a tourist dive only. There is no penetration is allowed by any dive operation I know in that area. It is beautiful dive with tons of fish and very worth while. The outer pressure hull is gone so that makes what is left (still looks like a submarine) extremely unsafe for penetration.

This is also a German Memorial Site. There may still be human remains inside (although it has been rumored that the US Navy may have removed the remains).

diver42 once bubbled...
How tight are the entrances/exits?

Very. With doubles it's quite tight getting into the battery or torpedo loading hatch; but it can be done. The internal bulkheads are also scrapers for getting through with doubles.

Are there any/many side rooms?

It's my understanding that there isn't; but I don't know for sure. I hear that the coning tower is tempting as an exit, because from a distance it looks like you'd be able to fit through the hatch.

Disclaimer: I was planning on going in last week; but a couple others got there first and silted it up pretty bad. I looked in and decided against it. So everything I'm reporting regarding inside spaces are hearsay from those that have been in it.

Avg. depth? (max is 115ft)

You're looking at 100-105 to the top; 115 to the sand. I hit 113 last year; and this year 114. 114 was when I swam under the stern to check out the prop.

Any information on the changing conditions...

Vis was great both times I dove it. Last year was 81 at the bottom. This year was 72. Last year had some current but none this year. Last week the 352 was by and far the best vis we had.

The thing is, I have that sort of information. (the information in the first reply -d42)

According to the book [I think it's NC wreck diving... but it's not with me right now] and several websites, penetration is certainly possible, and has been for some time. Not only that, the book says that the US Navy ran an extensive operation (with well over 350 hours of bottom time), cleared the remaining ordinance (except for a few that are "safe") and noted no human remains still at the site. The result was a compromise between those that wanted to destroy the thing and those that wanted to dive it.

I'm not really sure what about it makes you say it's unsafe for penetration. But I would love to know.

Thanks

Thanks Jeff.

Is it that the openings are just tight all the way around, or that it's easy to bump them? Also, does that apply to the doorways (internal or external) only, or to the rest of the penetration?

My desire would be to run through and back on one trip, though I've heard people like to shoot through in one direction. Are there places to let other divers pass? I don't know how cramped it is inside...

With any luck we'll get to it early, before other divers start walking around ; )

diver42 once bubbled...
Is it that the openings are just tight all the way around, or that it's easy to bump them?

Tight all around. Last year one guy was banging pretty hard trying to get in the round hatch by the bow. He finally did; and then couldn't get himself through the first bulkhead door. Last year the hatches didn't look that small; but I wasn't going in. This year I was planning on entering; and they looked quite a bit smaller than I remembered :wink:

Also, does that apply to the doorways (internal or external) only, or to the rest of the penetration?

It's my understanding that it's the hatches and the bulkhead doorways that are really tight; The rest has enough room to turn yourself around very carefully; but that's about it.

My desire would be to run through and back on one trip, though I've heard people like to shoot through in one direction.

Last year the guys that went in went int the round hatch in the bow; and turned around at the conning tower and returned. This year they entered somewhere in the stern [I think] and ran down to the bow. I was only planning a little 'duck in the round hatch, go through the bulkhead, pop out the square hatch'., so I didn't spend much time thinking beyond that.

Are there places to let other divers pass? I don't know how cramped it is inside...

Once again I'm not sure; but I would guess 'cramped'. I'd want to coordinate with the other divers on the boat to be sure everyone planning on going in knows what everyone else is planning so you don't get in each others way.

Of course, another question... we're basically talking about the round hatches that make it tough for doubles, right? (after all, the profiles with doubles for square hatches wouldn't make a difference - same as with a single)

diver42 once bubbled...
we're basically talking about the round hatches that make it tough for doubles, right? (after all, the profiles with doubles for square hatches wouldn't make a difference - same as with a single)

*shrug* I've only seen folks with doubles trying to get in the round hatch. The square hatch is pretty small also; so it could be an issue [diameter is diameter is diameter :wink:]. Once again this is the entrances and not the actual bulkheads inside.

I didn't really take a close look at the sizes other than noticing they were smaller than I remember. Given the fact that there was 'smoke' coming out the square hatch when I got there, I never investigated how much they truely shrunk over the last year.

I can tell you that a guy with double HP120s had a tough time getting in. A guy with double 100s had no problem with either of the bow hatches.

Actually this might help. The attached is a picture of one diver looking in the square hatch while the guy with the 120s has trouble getting in the round hatch.

I also have a better picture of the square hatch which I'll reduce; clean up, and post.

Here's a better shot of the square hatch, she's shining her light through the bulkhead door into where the round hatch goes in [I believe the torpedo room].

Note for perspective: She's about 100 lbs soaking wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom