How does DEMA affect the average diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
There's another thread on SB going about DEMA (Dive Equipment & Manufacturing Association) that has gotten quite large and heated. Many people on this board who are high up in the proffesional diving world have chimed in, and to be honest I haven't been able to read the entire thread because it grew way to fast to keep up.

For us basic fun divers that like to go out every weekend and do our thing, go to the dive shop get fills and other stuff we may need, go to a cool dive destination every once in a while, how does this debate over whatever's going on trickle down to us, the common diver?
What is currently going on at DEMA that's affecting me right now, and if changes are made how will that affect my diving in the future?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the LDS closes for a couple of days so the employees can attend the show in So. Cal (last year).

Other than that, it has no impact whatsoever.

Richard

There's another thread on SB going about DEMA (Dive Equipment & Marketing Association) that has gotten quite large and heated. Many people on this board who are high up in the proffesional diving world have chimed in, and to be honest I haven't been able to read the entire thread because it grew way to fast to keep up.

For us basic fun divers that like to go out every weekend and do our thing, go to the dive shop get fills and other stuff we may need, go to a cool dive destination every once in a while, how does this debate over whatever's going on trickle down to us, the common diver?
What is currently going on at DEMA that's affecting me right now, and if changes are made how will that affect my diving in the future?

Thank you.

If DEMA implodes, I doubt that it's gonna cause any LDS to go out of business or any charter operation to sink....

They won't have any real impact on the individual diver. (I'm sure someone will argue against that).

The only real big impact will be that they won't have a show to go to for a few days getaway....

People are still gonna dive. Manufacturers are still gonna make gear. Dive boats will still go out.

There's another thread on SB going about DEMA (Dive Equipment & Marketing Association) that has gotten quite large and heated. . .how does this debate over whatever's going on trickle down to us, the common diver?
If this doesn't answer it from a "common" diver, I don't know what will. . .

There's a Dive Equipment and Manufacturing Association?!?! Who knew?!?! What does this organization do? I mean besides causing heated debates on SB (but then again, what doesn't?! Baazzzzing!!!)

Well if DEMA doesn't affect us on the bottom (the end user) whatsoever, then why are there millions of dollars spent on everything surrounding DEMA, and all this time wasted on heated debates if nobody cares?
Wouldn't it just be easier if there was no DEMA?
Then all these thousands of dollars wouldn't be spent, I mean if it makes no difference anyway,
why even bother?

If this doesn't answer it from a "common" diver, I don't know what will. . .

There's a Dive Equipment and Manufacturing Association?!?! Who knew?!?! What does this organization do? I mean besides causing heated debates on SB (but then again, what doesn't?! Baazzzzing!!!)

LOL!
just goes to show how much I know, or care.
I fixed it.

Well if DEMA doesn't affect us on the bottom (the end user) whatsoever, then why are there millions of dollars spent on everything surrounding DEMA, and all this time wasted on heated debates if nobody cares?
Wouldn't it just be easier if there was no DEMA?
Then all these thousands of dollars wouldn't be spent, I mean if it makes no difference anyway,
why even bother?

Is this one of those Never ask a question you don't already know the answer to? dealies

(I think they allocated bandwidth in the other Forum for this. Don't know if this is in the budget)

For us basic fun divers that like to go out every weekend and do our thing, go to the dive shop get fills and other stuff we may need, go to a cool dive destination every once in a while, how does this debate over whatever's going on trickle down to us, the common diver? What is currently going on at DEMA that's affecting me right now, and if changes are made how will that affect my diving in the future?
A lot goes on at, and around, the DEMA (the Diving Eqiuipment and MARKETING Association) annual meeting that in some way affects 'basic fun divers', directly or indirectly. It is not a policy organization, per se, but an industry advocacy organization that provides a forum for exchange of information, and an organized approach to support of the scuba industry. Is DEMA perfect? No. Does everyone in the dive industry agree with DEMA's actions and approaches? Obviously not. But, that is not to say that DEMA is bad, and DEMA's critics are good. Or, that DEMA is infallible and its critics are wrong.

One thing you might do is simply learn more about the organization. Try going to the website, DEMA, and read about the organization's mission and pupose, and decide if what DEMA purports to do has relevance to you as a diver. The 'show' is primarily directed to manufacturers, shops, resorts, and dive professionals, and not 'basic fun divers'. But there is a lot of training, information sharing, exhibitions of new equipment, discussion of new ideas, etc., that takes place in conjunction with DEMA that at least indirectly affects the industry, what gear shops might ultimately decide to stock, what trips they might decide to book, and what instructors might do in their courses, for professional, legal or business reasons. I go to DEMA to learn more about what my particular agency (PADI) is doing / thinking / promoting, and how I can and should apply that in my teaching. I go to DEMA for education provided through the many DAN seminars that take place there. I go to DEMA to see what new and improved dive equipment is being released by manufacturers, that I might not otherwise be aware of as quickly. Is DEMA 'better' or 'worse' than something like the Beneath the Sea show in NJ? It is not a fair or relevant comparison. If there was no DEMA, would scuba diving disappear. Of course not. But, virtually every industry has one or more trade organizations which promote that industry, and provide an opporunity for manufacturers and suppliers to interact with retailers and users, and DEMA happens at the moment to be such an organization for the dive industry.

I guess not much impact, all this time I thought it was Dive Equipent Manufacturer Assoc.

I guess not much impact, all this time I thought it was Dive Equipent Manufacturer Assoc.
At one time it was. The focus changed to the point that some manufacturers have nicknamed it the "Trips and Trinkets Show". This is part of the reason that there is so much ire in the debate.

I agree with Mike S' assessment: DEMA has little, if any, impact on Joe Diver. DEMA is supposed to be attracting new divers to the sport and helping to retain the divers already here. If you have seen any of the "Be a Diver" spots, then this was funded in part by DEMA and in part by a local entity.

But really... I would love to hear MORE from the ScubaBoard tribe that are not professionals on how DEMA affects you. Are they doing their job as an advocacy group?

Back
Top Bottom