Mares Californian Speargun help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sanlanman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a used Mares Californian Speargun that came in a package deal. I have never used it and am not familiar with it. In fact, I am thinking of selling it. Can any one provide or point me to operating instructions for this gun. I have hunted with a band gun and hawaian slings before, but a pneumatic gun is unfamiliar to me. TIA

Is the handle black or green? Does it leak when you squeeze the trigger or change the power settings? They were good guns in the day. It's now a Sten, but not in that exact size. The Californian is in between the 85 and 100 in the Sten series. The black handle were the older models.

The handle is green. I figured out how to charge and load it yesterday, and shot it into some dirt today. It seemed to fire fine, and held a charge from yesterday.

Thanks for your info, any estimate on what it is worth on the used market?

It might take a day or two but I should have the manual and I can e-mail you a copy. Don't shoot gun out of the water!

Zak OHara is the man for info in the Mares forum.

Google Mares Sten Manual

Then select Sten Manual EN

Repeat what James Croft said

DO NOT SHOOT SPEARGUN OUT OF WATER

Last edited:
I recently was given a Mares Californian spear gun. I know it is a very old gun but I was wondering if it is still a useful gun or if I should just let it go away and look at something newer. It has a black handle on it so I assume it is pre 90's. It will hold air when pumped up as long as the high/low switch is up and back (not sure if that is high or low - I have read conflicting info on that). I would appreciate any help or suggestions you may have. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom