List of essential gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knavey

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Aside from the obvious fins, mask, BC, regulator, octo, gauges and tank, what else do YOU believe is essential for a NON tech OW diver?

Right now my setup also contains

1 dive knife (havent found the best place yet, still trying out different spots)

1 safety sausage (4 foot) should I get a bigger one?

1 slate with pencil

1 small dive light (have bigger ones for night time)

1 pair of gloves

1 150' reel (for the dive flag float)

1 small mesh bag (can't fit a bug in it though)

What other things should I put on?

Thinking about a Dive Alert as well.

Up here, a hood would be essential to go with the gloves. Down where you live, that may not be the case.

I also have a two piece 7mm wetsuit that I would consider essential in my early diving(pre-drysuit days, I never use it now). Down by Tampa, I would suppose that a 3mm would suffice. I don't know if you use a full wetsuit, but it does wonders at preventing jellyfish irratation.

I would get a whistle to signal boats on the surface in any environment. I don't know about a larger safety sausage, but a larger one couldn't hurt.

Other than that, it sounds to me like you are pretty well set.

Even for recreational, I'd add a few more safety related items:

Backup mask
Compass
liftbag & spool

I have used my EAP...and I will not go diving without it.

Sorry, that's one abbreviation I'm not familiar with..

Emergency Action Plan

What about a strobe? Does anyone consider these important bits of kit?

I don't have one but I have been toying with the idea of buying one of the Beaver strobe/torch combo as I then have the double benefit of a safety device and a back-up torch.

I have read varying opinions on strobe like they can be a good safety device but divers tend not to like them esp if they are really bright. I can appreciate that one that is like a disco light is not the best thing to have but in general do people dive with them?

Besides a dive knife, which I have zip tied to my spg, I also carry a shears that is clipped off to my BC. The knife is adequete for fishing line, but if you some how manage to get hung up in downrigger wires, the shears will go right through it. A knife would take awhile. Also if you drop the first one(it happens) you got a back up.

Jim

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
Even for recreational, I'd add a few more safety related items:

Backup mask
Compass
liftbag & spool

Ok,

Got the compass, but do you take the backup mask with you on the dive?

SwimJim once bubbled...
Besides a dive knife, which I have zip tied to my spg, I also carry a shears that is clipped off to my BC. The knife is adequete for fishing line, but if you some how manage to get hung up in downrigger wires, the shears will go right through it. A knife would take awhile. Also if you drop the first one(it happens) you got a back up.

Jim

Not a bad idea with the shears...may have to stop back by that tent sale at the dive shop today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom