Broken bones - okay to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

velovp

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just smashed my finger tip - bone has a simple fracture. Big dive trip planned in the Keys in 2-weeks - bone will not be healed by then, but otherwise the hand is functional (able to grip and twist with remaining fingers) - should be no problem climbing up a boat ladder - however I am interested in learning from the medical guru's if there are physiological issues that should be taken into consideration.
Many thanks,
Velovp
Sebastian, FL

I am not a doctor, but I know that normally they say a fracture should be properly healed in 4-6 barring complications. In theory there'll be an increased risk concerning bubble-formation.
However, I'd say; your fingertip.. if you take care that you are a little more careful with getting in and out the water, just go diving :wink:.
The additional risk on bubble-formation won't be that huge since it is not in the middle of a bloodstream.
If you're doubting; go and see a doctor. But with a broken fingertip; I wouldn't make such a deal out of it.

Have a nice vacation!

Just smashed my finger tip - bone has a simple fracture. Big dive trip planned in the Keys in 2-weeks - bone will not be healed by then, but otherwise the hand is functional (able to grip and twist with remaining fingers) - should be no problem climbing up a boat ladder - however I am interested in learning from the medical guru's if there are physiological issues that should be taken into consideration.
Many thanks,
Velovp
Sebastian, FL

Under no circumstances should you dive with this injury. Proper protocol is to pass your trip on (all expenses paid) to the first person to point this out to you. I will be waiting for your PM with details of my upcoming Keys vacation!

Under no circumstances should you dive with this injury. Proper protocol is to pass your trip on (all expenses paid) to the first person to point this out to you. I will be waiting for your PM with details of my upcoming Keys vacation!

AMEN!!!! and of course he needs a buddy :dork2:

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I will not recomend this at all. Your bone is still in the process of healing and the calcium formation is very important. until your doctor tells you that your finger is good to start light work and then move to regular rutine do not dive. I took me 5 months before i could get back in the water after i broke a leg and until this day i can notice the preasure affects my injury to some extend when i go to deep dives. Depending on the damage to the bone it can take up to 1 full year to fully recover and in some cases even longer. Right now i am allow to dive by my Ortho doctor but my injury wont be fully heal for another year or so.

I broke my small toe a couple of years ago. I asked my doctor what he thought about diving if it didn't hurt too much finning. My doctor didn't think there was a problem. I didn't dive the first 3 weeks just because my toe was too sore, but the moment I could get my bootie on without too much pain I was back in the water.

Carrie

I wouldn't give too much weight to medical advice from a bunch of random people on the internet, unless the person is actually an MD or has specific knowledge on the topic.

You should call DAN and talk to someone who might actually have an answer.

The one thing I can tell you from personal experience is that things that don't heal properly when you're young will come back to haunt you with vengeance when you get older.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom