Jupiter vs. Boynton Beach Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jud1417

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are planning a trip down south and have never dived Palm Beach. Due to the wife being recently certified we were wondering on diving conditions as I hear currents can be strong. Also any suggestions on a waterfront hotel offering boat slips. Thanks!

Boynton will probably be better. It's shallower and has pretty reefs. Everyone here will recommend Underwater Explorers. Jupiter is a lot deeper with strong currents and would be considered more advanced diving.

Don't know when you plan on coming down, but winter conditions can be iffy.

Check this page out for the Boynton Reefs and WPB area, great page! Hope this helps

West Palm Beach Dive Sites
Wades Page

Not all dive outfits are listed but this should give you a great overview of the type of diving and reefs. As you can see there are many to choose from and the Gulf Stream provides a constant source of clear water.

Here's the NOAA bouy that covers the area from Jupiter Inlet (north of WPB) down to Coral Reef.....I went to Coral Reef Elementary back in the day! Check it out before your trips to the area, so you'll know to bring the Dramamine or Bromine :wink:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts/FZUS52.KMFL.html

I know you are bringing your own boat, but...as you are not familiar with local conditions...and your wife is a new diver...you owe it to yourself to go out with a charter operation for at least the first day.

Count me as one who will HIGHLY recommend Kev of Underwater Explorers.

So far as Jupiter vs. Boynton, they are both great but I do think that Boynton's reefs are just a little bit prettier.

Gotta agree w/ Debby

Also - remember whether Boynton or Jupiter, you need someone to drive the boat and follow your flag (which you carry) - you will not be anchoring; its all drift diving unless you get the really rare day w/out current - don't plan on it, especially in the late fall or winter. So unless you have a friend or 2 with you - its not going to work.

There is also a slight "art" to propper dropping on the reef/ledge - otherwise you do you dive in sand.

For the cost of the diving - trips are $60 at Jupiter Dive Center, and about $50 w/ U/W Explorers - given the low costs (I have a 31' open fisherman and I can't turn the keys for $50 - 60) and the fact that you will have a new diver, unacustomed to drift diving, I think its a bad idea to dive from your own boat - this trip.

Boynton has better reefs, slightly easier diving - Jupiter I think is superb for big animal sightings, and I love the diving there - think its the best in FL - but I would not recommend Jupiter for a real new diver - deeper, stronger currents.

Personally I would leave the boat at home. Drift diving although not brain surgery has its issues with entanglments, broken lines, issues with reels, etc. If divers get seperated they must be proficent in SMB deployment or you got problems especially without a high vantage point with a bridge/tower. Besides, the cost to dock your boat will negate a lot of the cost to go out on carefree charter with excellent waypoints and spot-on drops. Just my 2psi worth...Scott

Jupiter 31 is a smart man (and a personal friend) and I have to agree with what he posted.

Bring your boat down and cruise the ICW, go to the waterfront eateries, even go out on the ocean and enjoy running around (beware of the inlets, they are tricky!!!) but please, go out with one of the local dive ops, at least for your first dive or two.

If you REALLY want to dive from your own boat, then please bring it down to Broward or to the Keys where you can tie up to a mooring ball. Much safer.

EDIT Valhalla and I were posting at the same time, more great advice there (but I'd still bring the boat down for ICW cruising...I'm a 4th generation powerboater and you can still have fun even if you don't dive from your boat!)

Gotta agree w/ Debby

Also - remember whether Boynton or Jupiter, you need someone to drive the boat and follow your flag (which you carry) - you will not be anchoring; its all drift diving unless you get the really rare day w/out current - don't plan on it, especially in the late fall or winter. So unless you have a friend or 2 with you - its not going to work.

There is also a slight "art" to propper dropping on the reef/ledge - otherwise you do you dive in sand.

For the cost of the diving - trips are $60 at Jupiter Dive Center, and about $50 w/ U/W Explorers - given the low costs (I have a 31' open fisherman and I can't turn the keys for $50 - 60) and the fact that you will have a new diver, unacustomed to drift diving, I think its a bad idea to dive from your own boat - this trip.

Boynton has better reefs, slightly easier diving - Jupiter I think is superb for big animal sightings, and I love the diving there - think its the best in FL - but I would not recommend Jupiter for a real new diver - deeper, stronger currents.

Hello, Palm Beach Inlet and Breakers Reef, South Doubles, Horse Shoe Reef, Juno Ledges, yada, yada, yada. All in good fun! Scott

Also...should you choose to dive Boynton and go out with Kev/Underwater Explorers, he will dive with you and show you ALL the cool stuff.

Bring your boat down and cruise the ICW, go to the waterfront eateries, even go out on the ocean and enjoy running around (beware of the inlets, they are tricky!!!) but please, go out with one of the local dive ops, at least for your first dive or two.

If you REALLY want to dive from your own boat, then please bring it down to Broward or to the Keys where you can tie up to a mooring ball. Much safer.

Makes perfect sence to me...:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom