USS Saratoga

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone on the board ever dived this wreck? I was reading this article about it (apparently one of the 4 top wreck dives in the world according to UK's Diver magazine). But prior to reading the article, I had never even heard of it. Sounds to me like Bikini Atol should be talked about in the same breath as Truk Lagoon and Scapa Flow, but it doesn't seem to get nearly the same publicity.

Anyone been there?

Last guy I heard of that dove it was on a special on Nat Geo. It was the actor Dennis Haysbert from "The Unit" and the Allstate commercials. It was one of his full trimix checkout dives.

Funny, I am currently wearing my Shark Pass Bilkini Atoll T-shirt ordered off their site last year. Have always been fansinated by the whole thing but the goverment shut down the dive operation two years ago when fuel started to escalate. Only open to self-contained large vessels for which I am in short supply...

Welcome to Bikini Atoll

Funny, I am currently wearing my Shark Pass Bilkini Atoll T-shirt ordered off their site last year. Have always been fansinated by the whole thing but the goverment shut down the dive operation two years ago when fuel started to escalate. Only open to self-contained large vessels for which I am in short supply...

Welcome to Bikini Atoll

I dont think it was so much the government shut it down, but that Marshall Air, that serves the islands, basically shut down, leaving the islands without the only way for divers to fly in for the week.

someone correct me if I'm wrong.

but basically after Air Service to the islands ended... it cut tourism and killed diver operations.

( I just remember when Air Marshall shut down)

I dont think it was so much the government shut it down, but that Marshall Air, that serves the islands, basically shut down, leaving the islands without the only way for divers to fly in for the week.

someone correct me if I'm wrong.

but basically after Air Service to the islands ended... it cut tourism and killed diver operations.

( I just remember when Air Marshall shut down)

Last year the web-site indicated goverment involvment posiably due to the goverment having to subsidize the airline. Just my 2psi...Stole that from Rhone Man this morning. Holler if you want it back!

Last edited:
i believe mike_s is corerct - it was more to do with Marshall air problems, but also maybe operational costs, so they suspended operations last year.

This was on their website:
August 23, 2008

Dear All,

The Kili/Bikini/Ejit Local Government Council met for several days during August, 2008, to consider its fiscal year 2009 budget. It was decided at this meeting that Bikini Atoll would remain closed for normal tourism operations during 2009. The Council made this decision due to the ongoing reliability issues with our local airline, Air Marshall Islands, the rise in the world price of fuel, and the decline in the stock market and the impact that this has had on our trust funds (which were used to subsidise our dive program): Together, all of these issues have caused our operating expenses to rise beyond our means.

Currently, the Council is engaged in negotiations with several entities which are interested in taking over the Bikini tourism operation. It is unknown how long these negotiations will last, or if they will prove fruitful, but, if there is an update regarding the tourism operation, it will be posted on this website.

Bikini is allowing certain types of vessels to visit Bikini Atoll and dive on the wrecks provided definitive prior arrangements are made with Bikini Atoll Divers.

These vessels or yachts must be completely self-contained, and must include:

*adequate international communications equipment

*housing, dining facilities, and supplies (all food, water, medical equipment, etc)

*all equipment needed to fill tanks and take care of divers, including any nitrox, oxygen or specialized medical equipment

*preferably have a helicopter for medical evacuation purposes

During such visits our local government will send along a diver and up to two Local Government Council representatives--at the vessel owner's expense--to make sure that no artifacts are removed from the ships.

If you want more information regarding this kind of expedition, please contact: bikinijack@gmail.com.

Sincerely,

Jack Niedenthal
Tourism Operations Manager for
the Bikini Atoll Local Government

i believe mike_s is corerct - it was more to do with Marshall air problems, but also maybe operational costs, so they suspended operations last year.

This was on their website:
August 23, 2008

Dear All,

The Kili/Bikini/Ejit Local Government Council met for several days during August, 2008, to consider its fiscal year 2009 budget. It was decided at this meeting that Bikini Atoll would remain closed for normal tourism operations during 2009. The Council made this decision due to the ongoing reliability issues with our local airline, Air Marshall Islands, the rise in the world price of fuel, and the decline in the stock market and the impact that this has had on our trust funds (which were used to subsidise our dive program): Together, all of these issues have caused our operating expenses to rise beyond our means.

Currently, the Council is engaged in negotiations with several entities which are interested in taking over the Bikini tourism operation. It is unknown how long these negotiations will last, or if they will prove fruitful, but, if there is an update regarding the tourism operation, it will be posted on this website.
Bikini is allowing certain types of vessels to visit Bikini Atoll and dive on the wrecks provided definitive prior arrangements are made with Bikini Atoll Divers.

These vessels or yachts must be completely self-contained, and must include:

*adequate international communications equipment

*housing, dining facilities, and supplies (all food, water, medical equipment, etc)

*all equipment needed to fill tanks and take care of divers, including any nitrox, oxygen or specialized medical equipment

*preferably have a helicopter for medical evacuation purposes

During such visits our local government will send along a diver and up to two Local Government Council representatives--at the vessel owner's expense--to make sure that no artifacts are removed from the ships.

If you want more information regarding this kind of expedition, please contact: bikinijack@gmail.com.

Sincerely,

Jack Niedenthal
Tourism Operations Manager for
the Bikini Atoll Local Government

Not to argue with Mike (lost too many before) but I read the other way. Why would the council's first efforts not be directed to the airline? Seems it's just a lack of business acumen within the council. Perhaps the current leadership is better served going back to carving faces on coconuts...:D

I know what it is like to live in a part of the world where you are hostage to a cr@p airline. Not fun.
I imagine it can only be worse in an isolated part of the pacific.

Sounds like John Chatterton should arrange one of his pacific wreck diving tours to Bikini. It sounds like out of this world class diving if you can overcome the logistics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom