Diving in Miami

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FiN85

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a dive shop/charter in the Miami Beach area. I am going to be there for a month and looking to get some time under water.

Cheers!

Come to Key Largo if your gonna be here that long. But hit up Tennaco Towers

On a recent Miami trip myself I was surprised to find how little diving there is in Miami. Two boats, only one of which is worth anything.

It's just a little more than an hour down to Key Largo. Much more - and much better - diving down there.

It's just a little more than an hour up to Boynton Beach. Much more - and much better - diving up there.

I agree with RJP, Key Largo is very much worth the trip. I dived with Blue Water Divers and had a nice double dip on the SG last July and some reef dives with them about two years earlier. They are located directly next to the Holiday Inn (mile marker 100).

If you get a chance to dive with Scubakev you will not be disappointed. You may even meet up with some SB regulars. I did and had a blast. Hope to do the same again next summer.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll definitely be hitting up Boynton Beach and do a few days in the keys.

Okay - So if someone hasn't dived in So. Florida -- what is the best way to 'get there'? Fly to Miami and drive to the Keys? I want warm water, not the Atlantic. Also, can anyone recommend an inexpensive place to stay . . . someone mentioned a Holiday Inn.

It seems like all the dive travel ops want to send you to Hiltons and Marriots -- for which I do not care as I use the room to shower & sleep.

The Holiday Inn is a little older, but you can walk to the pier. It may be worth contacting Blue Water Divers as they may be able to get you a discount if you dive with them.

Okay - So if someone hasn't dived in So. Florida -- what is the best way to 'get there'? Fly to Miami and drive to the Keys? I want warm water, not the Atlantic. Also, can anyone recommend an inexpensive place to stay . . . someone mentioned a Holiday Inn.

It seems like all the dive travel ops want to send you to Hiltons and Marriots -- for which I do not care as I use the room to shower & sleep.

Fly into Miami, drive to the Key Largo. About an hour from the airport.

I recently stayed at Amy Slate's Amoray Dive Resort at MM104. Had a room rate of $89 a night for a great room literally five steps from the boat. Plenty of restaurants nearby. Was it the Ritz-Carlton? Of course not! But room was large, clean, and comfortable. The staff members I encountered - via phone, email, and in-person - couldn't have been more pleasant to deal with. I suppose I could have spent 3-4x more to stay at the Marriott a mile further south, but I'm not sure why I would have!

If you're coming to Key Largo to dive, give serious consideration to Amoray. If you're the type who gets bent out of shape about the occasional rust spot on a tub or insists on doing a photo documentary of a loose thread on a pillowcase for your "Trip Advisor Expose" then you might be better off at the Marriott. (Though people like that tend to find problems wherever they stay.)

Hey, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a dive shop/charter in the Miami Beach area. I am going to be there for a month and looking to get some time under water.

A month in Miami opens up many opportunities for some great diving:

65 miles to Key Largo, I've had many, many great dives with Ocean Divers

80 miles to Islamorada, I must dive with Conch Republic soon, rave reviews on ScubaBoard

55 miles to Boynton Beach, Underwater Explorers is my favorite operator in S Florida

90 miles to Jupiter, I've had very good dives with Jupiter Dive Center

Okay - So if someone hasn't dived in So. Florida -- what is the best way to 'get there'? Fly to Miami and drive to the Keys? I want warm water, not the Atlantic. Also, can anyone recommend an inexpensive place to stay . . . someone mentioned a Holiday Inn

I'm very lucky. I have nonstop, roundtrip flights to West Palm, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami, all for under $200. I dive S Florida 3-4 times per year.

I generally fly into West Palm to dive in Boynton Beach and Jupiter. I usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Boynton Beach at about $85/night with a good buffet breakfast included, nice small pool, free WiFi. A very short drive to Underwater Explorers, an easy 35 mile drive up 95 to Jupiter.

I fly into Miami for the Keys. Some complain about the airport and fly into Fort Lauderdale. I've never had trouble there, quick shuttle to rental car. I generally stay at Holiday Inn Key Largo, short walk down the Marina to Ocean Divers, many other operators in close proximity. A bit expensive for a somewhat tired, old hotel at $125-150/night but I like the the marina view rooms, has a good buffet breakfast for about $10, 2 nice pools, free WiFi.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

Good diving, Craig

Back
Top Bottom