Shears Vs Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone think of any reason to carry a knife instead of shears? Apart from it's easier to knife your buddy.

I've both but am wondering whether I might as well leave the knife at home or add it to my kitchen block :wink:

Cheers,
J

p.s. no doubt this question has been asked here before but my search didn't render me immediate results and as is the wont of my generation have not the patience or attention span to trawl through multitudinous threads that may or may not have relevance. Plus I'm setting the house up for Halloween :D

Guess it depends on where you dive,I don't see my self using sheers with 5mm or drygloves on.

You can't do an arm sweep around your back with shears to cut the d**n spider line that is hanging you up. Need a knife with a good line cutter ground into it. Don't get me wrong, LOVE shears, always carry both.

I carry a knife with a line cutter on it. I have shears that I keep in my BC pocket as well, but have found the knife to be more usefull. When spearfishing I can also filet my catch in the water and keep the mess down.

I have heard both sides. It was interesting that some one told me that based on what your trying to cut through (say a rigid cable that's not taught) you might HAVE to use one hand to hold it and the other to cut it. This would be difficult if you cant reach it with both hands (the knife may not be useful). I think both are well warranted. Geokr::: that is an interesting product..thanks for sharing!

Knife can be used if you need leverage. Any situation where you need to carry a cutting tool, you probably ought to be carrying both.

Guess it depends on where you dive,I don't see my self using sheers with 5mm or drygloves on.

Great point. I am a sub-tropical warm water diver who prefers shears and this bad boy line-cutting replacment tool which is from a industrial/public safety/military supplier. Rips through kelvar, harnesses and anything else. Finger hole big enough for drysuit.

7 Details | Benchmade

Knife can be used if you need leverage. Any situation where you need to carry a cutting tool, you probably ought to be carrying both.

With a lanyard. Heard of enough stories of panic induced dropped cutting tools...A knife is particularily good if you need to saw...

Geokr::: that is an interesting product..thanks for sharing!

Glad to! I've never had a bit of trouble with that knife. After diving I dry it and spray it heavily with WD-40, let the excess drain off and it's ready to go again - never a speck of rust. The spring loaded blade make using the shears easy, too. BTW, a lanyard's a good idea, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom