Blistered sunburn... ouchy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdr231

Reaction score
My son and I are going for our AOW dives this weekend and right now he has a blistered sunburn on his shoulder- right where bc will exert most pressure :( :fire:

Anyone have any good advice for protecting the area UW? Will be wearing 7mm 2-piece suit.

BTW- happy 4th everyone!

Thanks in advance!

Michael

I would suggest waiting until the sun burn heals before doing any diving.

Besides the discomfort of the sunburn, a bad sunburn effects other systems of the body which could have a negative impact combined with diving.

This is necessary to get all the goop off you've already put on it.

next paper the area with paper towels soaked in vinegar, and keep them wet with it for a couple hours.

After that doctor it with whatever you want for pain.

The next morning the tender skin underneath wil have "tanned" (more like leather tans) and will help protect what new skin is growing up from below.

FT

Thanks for the advice.
We ended up using a goop called "2nd skin quick heal" from the local drug store. Kept the burn covered in the stuff and protected by some very large bandages on Friday (didn't get these messages until after we got back). For the dives, we used the goop, and covered it with a few layers of padded bandages and mole skin, which were replaced roughly every 2 dives and held in place by waterproof tape and the shoulder strap from his suit (14mm of neoprene with top!). He did great and wasn't in pain. In fact, was mostly healed up by Sunday (and got his AOW!).

Looking forward to trying the vinegar cure next time.

thanks!
Michael

lol I was in the same place your son was during my rescue pool and open watter sesion. IT is unbareable out of the water but once you get into the water it is tollerable.

I suppose it would be better to say 'lack of hair and sunburn.' Those of us who, shall we say, have some deserters in the rear ranks of our hair army, will know from whence I speak. It doesn't take much to sunburn your scalp, and the first time you do it, you will never forget it. Hop in the shower, a nice blast of hot water...ARRRRGGG! Run a quick comb or brush through what's left...ARRRRGGG!

Pirates wear do-rags for a reason!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom