Suggestions for Boy Scout Scuba Merit Badge support

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rligon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'd like to ask you folks to pitch in with ideas about how local dive shops can work with local Boy Scout councils to make the new Scuba Diving Merit Badge a successful program from the start. Some of the ideas we are kicking around are:
  • Discount/free Discover Scuba as an intro
  • Apply cost of Discover Scuba to OW classes
  • Discounted OW classes when working on the MB
  • Dive shop/club sponsored dives
  • Dive shop/club diving first aid training
  • Equipment discounts when working on the MB
  • Rental discounts when working on the MB
  • Dive shop representative to work with the council
Any other ideas to help us recruit young divers through this new opportunity will be greatly appreciated.

Tell them they can now scuba dive across the lake to get to the Girl Scouts summer camp instead of having to steal a paddle boat at night.

I wish I had that option at summer camps.....

In all seriousness, I think with the ideas you already have it'd be pretty successful at the start.......

What I would also think about is retention. So lets say the OW class will serve as the basis for a basic scout diver MB. What about some sort of more advanced MB to encourage them to stay in diving longer/develop their skills?
1) Basic Diver MB(OW Class.....it's enough skills to deal with as it is!)
2) Scout Diver MB......a combo of AOW, rescue diver, and require some sort of decent marine biology class on ID'ing sea flora/fauna, impact of climate change, ect ect ect(i.e. NOT just any weak-sauce agency classes)

I imagine many really might not like the whole diving thing at first because they may be overwhelmed/uncomfortable in the water, even after completing OW. Give them something to work towards afterwards and they'll work for it anyways.......along the way they will most likely overcome any issues and hopefully get the bug.

Presumably you're already planning for some of your staff to become qualified as merit badge counselors.

Perhaps you can encourage local troops to have scuba outings or trips.

Is there a "tank sherpa" badge?

PADI has a Jr Open Water Diver program for kids between 10 and 14. Adult OW is available at 15. The training is identical but the class size is restricted for Jr OW (usually one-on-one).

There are some restrictions on Jr OW that might be unworkable: the young diver can only dive with a dive professional (DM or Instructor) or a certified parent/guardian.

Maybe the MB should be a project for older kids, say 15 and up?

There is a certain resistance in the dive community to 10 years old kids starting to dive. While my grandson started diving at 10, I am certainly not an expert in pediatrics.

Sounds like a great program to me!

Richard

Sorry, I don't support discriminatory organizations such as BSA.

Instructors have to register at the local BSA Council office to be merit badge counselors in order to sign off merit badge cards. There are other BSA policies that MB counselors/instructors have to adhere to for example "2 deep leadership" (child protection policies/no one on one instruction)

Each scout council has many local districts. The local districts have monthly "Round table" meetings for info transfer/training of the adult leadership. An LDS can ask to make a presentation at the roundtable meeting to promote "Discover SCUBA" or to introduce instructors as SCUBA merit badge counselors.

Call your local BSA Council to find out who your local district roundtable commissioner is. They can set you up.

Thanks W8less, I was thinking troop level and totally spaced roundtables!

PADI has a Jr Open Water Diver program for kids between 10 and 14. Adult OW is available at 15. The training is identical but the class size is restricted for Jr OW (usually one-on-one).

There are some restrictions on Jr OW that might be unworkable: the young diver can only dive with a dive professional (DM or Instructor) or a certified parent/guardian.

Maybe the MB should be a project for older kids, say 15 and up?

There is a certain resistance in the dive community to 10 years old kids starting to dive. While my grandson started diving at 10, I am certainly not an expert in pediatrics.

Sounds like a great program to me!

Richard

This is only partly accurate. The first age limit is 12. There can only be one student under 12 and the total class limit is 4. Over 12 the regular class limits apply. Yes, it is a Jr OW class.

I agree it should be limited to students over the age of 12.

Back
Top Bottom