Oceanic Caribe - Great Light Weight Travel Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepseafalcon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wanted to share my experience in my quest for minimizing equipment weight for travel to warm water destinations:

After cutting my BCD dry weight in half when I moved to a BP/W @ 7.8lbs (from a backinflated weight-integrated BCD @ 15lbs), I looked for further opportunities to cut down on weight and preferrably also improve my diving experience.

I found that my open heel fins (Mares Avanti) incl. spring straps and dive boots weighed in at close to 7lbs. There got to be a better way.

So I checked various closed-heel (full foot) fins and found that the Oceanic Caribe are excellent for my needs:
Unbelievably efficient, in general much less fatique in my legs and hips, and less than half the weight.
I use them with thin neoprene socks, both together weigh a mere 2.9lbs!
For many years I have had some problems with my hip and knee joints, and generally feel much more comfortable with the softer, lighter fins & socks.

Of course, that's no option when diving in a dry suit, and not great when shore diving in rocky areas or in a thick wetsuit.

Btw, I noticed that many dive guides on boats in tropical locations also wear closed heel fins, so I am not the first one who found that "snorkel fins" are actually pretty good for "real diving" :cool2:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom