Maldives- the Northern Atolls or the Male Circuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsywoman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All-
Am trying to firm up Maldive LOB plans for late December '09 and am a bit stuck...
Hope someone can help! ....
This is my first time to the Maldives, have been diving lots of other cool places (lucky!), and am not sure if the central Male circuit will be too busy (crowded). I enjoy more out-of-the-way places, but am not a Type A diver (as one fellow American typified us in a post). Experienced, but recreational. I am happy to see whatever we see, as long as it is pristine, not crowded and full of marine life.

So, my question is the MV Amba and the Northern Atolls or a mid-budget LOB for the Male circuit? Suggestions??

Also, any suggestions on large equipment/gear rental in Male so I don't have to lug mine around?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Most liveaboards will have equipment rental for you, so you can order what you need ahead of time and they will have it on board for you, ready. December is a great time for diving in the Maldives, so you're going to have an awesome time. In December, you are going to find the best visibility on the Eastern Atolls, so try and get a liveaboard trip that goes over there. There are some awesome last minute liveaboard deals on Maldives Dive Travel at the moment, you should check them out for sure.

Hi Gypsywoman
Just back from out 9th trip to the maldives...love it!

Have a look on Maldive Scuba Tours; they have over 14yrs experience in the Maldives and really do know thier stuff.

They go where the action is ensuring different atolls are visited; we had everything from sharks, mantas, whalesharks and lots of 'critters'

On thier site you can check out trip reports/guest comments.

Hope this helps and any Q's pm me.
Regards
Vicky

If you are looking for something less crowded either pick the northern atolls or one of the boats that will be flexible with there they go. We just did two weeks on the regular circuit and even in off season we kept running into sites with 3 other boats.

Hi All- Kasha and Entropy-
Thanks for the replies! I finally got a spot on the Sheena- going to the southern Atolls out of Medhufushi Resort. Am going on Dec 27th. if I can get all my flights together today. Also, seems that it is quite crowded over the holiday time and I am having trouble finding availability at a small, moderate resort for 3 days at the end of my trip. Oh, well, I will keep looking and may have to bag the resort in Maldives. Seems a shame though after the long flights! (I am in Hawaii).
So, thanks for your replies!!!

Gypsywoman, you could try Biyadoo for your last 3 days. No lux hotel but great diving and great dive op Dive Oceans! I just got back and had an absolutely wonderful week there!

Dive Ocean Diving Centers

Unless you are Muslim I would not touch the Maldives. Have you read what they think about non-Muslims to there? Read this:
But, some MPs argued the law was unnecessary as the constitution states that Islam shall be the basis of all laws and non-Muslims cannot be citizens.
Maldives News | Minivan News

Do not support such intolerance.

:no:Hey chipb-
I will not enter into a discussion with you- this is just my statement as a reply to your statement that you thought might somehow help me. My very specific question was not whether I should go to the Maldives, but where I should go. As a well-traveled person, I have experienced many Muslim countries, have Muslim friends and like any country I visit, I am a VISITOR in the country and even though I don't agree with their political views, I respect that I am not a citizen their, I am a guest. If I did not travel to a country because of some laws that I viewed as "intolerant", I would be confined to very few places in the world. THAT is not a way to promote understanding and share the good things about my American culture and my kind personality.

So, I would ask that you keep your responses directed toward specific questions and save your political views for forum of that nautre.
Thank you-

gypsywoman

PS. I am doing a Southern route and am thrilled.

chipb, I too will not enter into a discussion with you, If I took your approach.. I wouldn't dare set foot in the good ole USA!! give me a break!

I stand by what I said. From the news:

"MALE, Maldives (AP) — The Maldives' new president expanded his Cabinet on Sunday to include religious conservatives who have been demanding the introduction of strict Islamic laws in the Indian Ocean nation that relies on high-end tourism."

So are you willing to travel there if you are gay, travelling with a member of the opposite sex to whom you are not married, carry a bible, wear a cross, or consume alcohol thereby risking punishment under Sharia?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom