Adapt second stage w/ swivel for standard hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djcheburashka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a 212/DC2 I use as my singles regulator. The second stage came with a swivel hose, so the attachment point on the second stage is larger than the standard, and other brand hoses (i.e., miflex) won't attach.

I thought a vendor could simply swap out the attachment point on the second stage for a normal sized one, but apparently that's not possible and it would mean rebuilding the whole regulator.

Is there any adapter for doing this? It doesn't need to swivel, just let an LP hose with a normal end (i.e., a miflex 7") connect securely.

There is some talk about this over on the Oceanic board with the EOS regulator, but so far no answer. Oceanic makes a 7' hose for the EOS, which should also fit the Hollis 212 with swivel.

Yeah, I posted there to revive the thread. Oceanic was saying back in February that they were going to come out with an adapter, but they haven't responded to any inquiries since... Hopefully the Hollis side of the company has better customer support...

Not sure exactly what size port you have, but a number of places sell adapters that will run 7/16, 1/2, or 9/16 in to 3/8 in. Try Piranha Dive Manufacturing (http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/products.html); 1/2 in to 3/8 is under hoses&fittings/hose adapters, others under adapters/1st stage adapters. Among other things, I got a 3/8 to 7/16 adapter from them to run a modern HP hose off my not-so-modern Conshelf XII and not only did they have my order packed within an hour of placing it (at 7 pm), they unpacked it and switched the adapters for me when I realized I had misordered and still had it on my doorstep in 3 days after managing to knock a few bucks off the shipping estimate. Other shops should have the adapters as well, but I've got nothing but good things to say about Piranha's parts and service.

The swivel the OP is talking about is on the second stage. Standard connection is 9/16, the Oceanic/Hollis connection with swivel are larger than 9/16.

Ah, my mistake; I guess I shouldn't write posts at 2 am. Wish I could help and best of luck.

It looks like there are actually multiple Oceanic swivel sizes... and no-one seems sure of which one Hollis is using? Hopefully a rep shows up to answer and explain...

Funny, I was just in this forum to post the same question. I just returned from my LDS where I thought I was going to put a miflex hose on. We took the swivel off and realized that the attachment is large. My LDS is going to ask his oceanic rep to see if that guy knew. I'm kinda surprised that Nick hasn't responded to this question yet. He was quick with my other questions. Hopefully there is some possibility here. I don't want some jacked up adapter that sticks out far just to use a longer miflex hose. Hopefully we can at least get the size of the swivel attachment so I can shop around for something. Thanks.

While this is not real helpful for using miflex hoses, divegear express is selling Hollis gear now. You an order a "custom" Hollis reg setup. They have 40, 62, and 84-inch hoses available. That being said, it looks like the 212 regs they are selling do not have the swivel attachment. Perhaps they do and the pictures just doesn't do a good job of showing it. If the 212s they sell do not have the swivel, you can get them through divegear express for $240 or so. I don't like the idea of having to buy a new second stage just to use an other-than-standard hose. I think I'd buy a whole new reg before I did that...

I e-mailed Hollis today asking them about the adapter and/or the longer hose option. We'll see what they say. I am starting to research regs. I am almost convinced my reg will become a backup/stage reg. I am not into buying a $300 second when I can get a decent reg set for $400. This single setup is going to be used primarily for travel so I don't need to replace the Hollis with another Hollis. I'd still like to know that there are other options. Hopefully I'll hear from Hollis or Nick will respond here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom