Older ikelite substrobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronkok

Registered
Reaction score
Got a few questions to check regarding strobes.

substrobe 50 -
1. Can i use this on manual with a new ikelite housing? Can i adjust it from the housing itself or must i only use it on full? Or can the ttl work?

2. Can i pair this with a DS160 with it acting as a slave? Or do i still use it with a dual sync cord?

Thanks!

Aaron
Can't wait for my housing to arrive!

Following is from Ikelite engineer Roger:

1. No, it does not provide battery power to the electronics in the housing unless it is a DS model. Therefore you cannot adjust the power from the housing itself. Older non-digital substrobes are not recommended for use with newer TTL digital housings. In many cases they cannot follow the preflash and mainflash. And if they are used as a primary strobe they could autofire since they do not power the electronics in the housing.

2. You can use it hard-wired on a dual cord as long as the DS160 is the PRIMARY strobe and the SS50 is the secondary strobe (cord with the red band). Also, you will be limited to manual only. Power can be adjusted from the housing in this case.

for DS160 as the main and SS50.

Does this mean i use the 160 as TTL while the SS as manual?
Or
Ds160 & ss50 only on Manual?

Thanks for the info!

SS50 + DS160 = manual only.  If used in TTL mode the SS50 will fire at full power on the main flash which is something you definitely don't want.

so basically u can still use old strobes in manual. i have a ss-50 and ss-50s. but ikelite keeps telling me it messes up the TTL circuitry..i tried it at home and triggered it and it works no problem. odd

We don't recommend non-TTL strobes because most people have TTL cords which have 5 connections. These cords can send current back through the circuit possibly damaging the strobe, housing electronics, or camera. As far as the older TTL film strobes, some work and others don't in a manual setting, but most people want to take advantage of TTL automated flash, especially if they have a digital TTL strobe.

Yes, it is a voltage issue. The older strobes put out 5 volts. That said, if you use the DS160 as your "primary" strobe, and connect the SS50 on the secondary side, there should not be a problem shooting manual flash. The secondary end of the cord (red band) only has three wires connected: trigger, ground, and quench.
The DS160 will power the housing circuit, which is another reason it must be connected as the primary strobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom