El Nino

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMichael

Registered
Reaction score
Hi: I am thinking about going on a liveaboard to the Socorros or Cocos Island next year. But I am concerned about El Nino. Does anyone have informations/links about how heavy will be the impact (regarding sharks) of El Nino on these Pacific Islands next year. Thanks

Hi: I am thinking about going on a liveaboard to the Socorros or Cocos Island next year. But I am concerned about El Nino. Does anyone have informations/links about how heavy will be the impact (regarding sharks) of El Nino on these Pacific Islands next year. Thanks

You might try shooting Dr. Bill a PM with this question. His stomping grounds are further noth, but I think I saw some of his articals talking about the Baja.

My guess (and I have absolutely no qualifications) is that the warm water would extend further east. That would have a detrimental effect on the cold water species.

Art

I had asked about going (Cocos or Galapagos next year) to a group of friends who have been there multiple times.... they said NOT to go next year, el nino was going to ruin the diving. Not a scientific report, but good enough for me. :wink:

Thanks. Who is Dr Bill and what is his email adress?

Dr. Bill Bushing. A highly educated dive bum. He is a marine biologist and posts on the board regularly. You can contact him by using the PM (private message) utility on Scubaboard.

Does any of what I said ring a bell with you? If not, let me know and I will PM the both of you to get the ball rolling.

Art

I had asked about going (Cocos or Galapagos next year) to a group of friends who have been there multiple times.... they said NOT to go next year, el nino was going to ruin the diving. Not a scientific report, but good enough for me. :wink:

Robin-

Dr Bill replied to us in a PM and kind of said the same thing. Warm water is liable to force the sharks deeper or to cooler environments.

Art

Back
Top Bottom