Key Largo Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishoutawater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Wife wants to go somewhere warm. But everytime we do, she complains that I spend more time underwater than I do with her.
Oh well. :D
We'll be coming down at or about the 28th Dec, and staying a few days past New Years, so I should be able to sneak a few dives in. I've pretty much decided that the Holiday Inn will suit our needs, being that it's close to stuff for her to do (spend money) while I'm diving.
Anyway, I haven't done any warm water diving in quite a while, and as it turns out, my old Parker shorty seems to have shrank.:whistling: So, is there such a thing as rental wetsuits on Key Largo? Or can anyone recommend a super duper discount wetsuit store somewhere between say, Melbourne (mother in law's house) and Key Largo? And will a 3mm work in December? Will a board suit work, or is that totally :dork2:?

And elsewhere in the board I read about a guy named Jeff, who owns the HMS Minnow there at the Holiday Inn. Sounds like my kinda outfit. Should I make advance reservations? Or think I'll be able to show up and dive?
I guess more specifically, are all of the operators pretty much booked up during the holidays?
And does he ever do Molasses and Conch reefs on the same trip? I don't even know where they are on the map, but from what I've read, they're the ones I'm most interested in.

Did you actually contact Jeff to get his direct answers to your questions about his op? I'm just sayin'.

DIVE KEY LARGO - SCUBA with HMS MINNOW DIVING CHARTERS, Florida Keys Pennekamp Sanctuary

So far as wetsuit thickness, that is totally personal preference. I totally freeze down here winter diving in a Farmer John full suit and hood while tourists next to me in t-shirts and board shorts are feeling balmy.

Yes, you can rent pre-peed in wetsuits in the Keys. :rofl3: Or, Scubatoys online has a bunch of wetsuits on sale right now...thinking of getting one myself.

AHA! Thanks for the link. I'll get ahold of him, but I'm at work right now and just got called to a meeting. Thanks again.

Google is a mighty tool. :wink:

I'll be in Key Largo diving Dec 27th - Jan 1st. I signed up with Horizon Divers since they have nice big boats and the weather can be unpredictabe that time of year.

Buy a new wetsuit. Rental suits are gross.

You may also be interested in this link:

EVO 3MM MENS Full Scuba Dive Wetsuit#

Divers Direct has a store right in Key Largo.

Wife wants to go somewhere warm. But everytime we do, she complains that I spend more time underwater than I do with her.
Oh well. :D
We'll be coming down at or about the 28th Dec, and staying a few days past New Years, so I should be able to sneak a few dives in. I've pretty much decided that the Holiday Inn will suit our needs, being that it's close to stuff for her to do (spend money) while I'm diving.
Anyway, I haven't done any warm water diving in quite a while, and as it turns out, my old Parker shorty seems to have shrank.:whistling: So, is there such a thing as rental wetsuits on Key Largo? Or can anyone recommend a super duper discount wetsuit store somewhere between say, Melbourne (mother in law's house) and Key Largo? And will a 3mm work in December? Will a board suit work, or is that totally :dork2:?

And elsewhere in the board I read about a guy named Jeff, who owns the HMS Minnow there at the Holiday Inn. Sounds like my kinda outfit. Should I make advance reservations? Or think I'll be able to show up and dive?
I guess more specifically, are all of the operators pretty much booked up during the holidays?
And does he ever do Molasses and Conch reefs on the same trip? I don't even know where they are on the map, but from what I've read, they're the ones I'm most interested in.

Thanks Dean and rescue diver. I was looking at a google map of the area and I saw the Divers Direct sign, googled it, and did see that wetsuit. That'll work just fine. I do agree about the grossness of the rentals. I about crapped in one last time I was here. Dove off of Amy Slates boat, and met this really HUGE Moray. Dude pointed at a hole, Stuck my face into it, saw this big green face. He came out, I jumped back, and the more he came out the bigger he got, and the bigger my eyes got. At the time he looked like a Greyhound bus, with teeth. I just froze and covered my vitals. I had just seen a couple greens down in Key West, but they weren't nothing like this dude. That was back in '91. Any chance he's still around?

The Keys in late December won't be Minnesota diving, but they won't be warm water, either. The weather is also iffy. Judge yourself and your own cold tolerance. I do pretty well with a 5 mm suit in 70-72 deg water in Dec/Jan; my wife is about equal in a 3 mm suit. But, we occasionally get too cold. I've just bought a hood and she's just bought a 5 mm suit. That should do it for south FL "cold" diving.:cool2: For us, at least.

Thanks for the advice Imorin. Sorry I haven't gotten back til now.
I did dive Palm Beach reef one time in my shorty, and I do remember it being a little bit chilly. But it was the surface interval that had me shivering. I forget who the op was, but they were really nice and let me borrow a sweat shirt.
I guess I'm old fashioned, but I borrowed one of those back zip suits once, and maybe it was just this particular suit, but the zipper kept coming down and I'd have to stuff it down the front. PIA IMO.
So I went ahead and bought something like I'm used to: 3mm Men's NeoSport 2pc John & Jacket SCUBA Wetsuit Combo: Wetsuit Wearhouse

So, is there somewhere on Key Largo I can do a weight check and get horizontal in this thing before I get on a boat? I used to go to a YWCA and use their pool to ops check my stuff before trips. Then I'd just add about five lbs and I'd be set for the sea. But the Y isn't the Y anymore. And it was the only indoor pool around here.
Do people use the pool at the Holiday Inn for this?

I'll give my vote for the 3mm EVO. I consider it one of the better purchases I have made. It's well made and has plenty of stretch. Mine has held up better than the other half's "custom" Henderson.
Like everyone has said, thickness is a matter of personal preference/tolerance. I dive the springs which are a constant 72 and a 3mm works fine for me.
If you have never been to Diver's Direct, make sure you bring your check book. They have LOTS of "stuff you just can't live without." :D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom