Four years later, or why I'm still a DIR diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I realized this morning that it was almost exactly four years ago that I took GUE Fundamentals. That brought back memories of chilly, 42 degree fog and 45 degree water, and a great deal of underwater flailing. And it also made me think about what the subsequent four years have brought me.

When I took Fundies, I thought GUE-trained divers were the only people who dove the way we were being taught to dive. I don't blame me for feeling that way; I had never SEEN anybody else with the kind of buoyancy control, or the non-silting kicks, or the kind of equipment we were being taught to use. I have subsequently learned that there is whole world of non-GUE, non-DIR divers out there who dive long hoses and dive horizontally and know how to frog kick (many of them are cave divers). I've also come to learn that some of the things I've been taught have many alternatives, and in some cases, I may even find the alternatives just as good or even better than what I was trained to do or use. So why do I stay with it?

There are two big reasons, and they're intertwined. One is that standardization has tremendous power. So many diving issues are simply avoided by having everything the same. I know, if I show up at a site to do a 90 foot dive, that everybody there will be on 32%, so we'll all have similar deco limits. I know we'll all expect to do our ascents the same way. I know my buddy's equipment as well as I know my own. I sometimes get mad at myself for forgetting to go through all the parts of a pre-dive discussion, like signals, or where weights are, or where releases are . . . because in my little world, I know the answers to all those questions.

Which brings me to the second part, which is the people. I love the fact that I can fly to Monterey or Los Angeles, or drive up to BC, or head to Mexico or Florida, and I can dive with people I've never met before, and we will all have a great time. There are no "instabuddy" issues in my little universe. I can borrow gear where I go if I need to, and the gear will be instantly familiar. I can count on a certain level of skill, and a certain level of attentiveness from my new buddies. We're on the same page.

Certainly, you can have a community of divers who are used to one another and have the same feeling of teamwork. But it comes with the system, the way I dive, and it's spread out over the world, so that it's likely that, no matter where I go, I'll be able to find people to dive with who feel like old friends.

It took me a lot of work to learn to dive the way I do. I'm not a natural diver, and the bar for skills, awareness and thinking is set high (and I still don't always reach it). But it was worth it.

One thing I like about reading your posts is how passionate you are. Keep up the good work.

Lynne - You are truly my hero. The manner in which you conduct yourself in the forums, your insightful posts, and your humble attitude, about your diving experiences and dive training, makes you so approachable and so admired on SB.

Many thanks from a newbie :hugs:

Interesting - Search on "DIR" and "GUE" returns no finds ? ? ?

I have presumed that the Do It Right is a methodology, but haven't quite figured out where GUE comes in . . .

Why do I think I have seen a forum titled "DIR"?

I have presumed that the Do It Right is a methodology, but haven't quite figured out where GUE comes in . . .

Why do I think I have seen a forum titled "DIR"?

There is no GUE forum on SB. GUE has its own forum on the GUE website. You have to be a member to view it.

There is a DIR forum on SB.http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/

If you search for "you" or "and" you'll get the same result. There is a 4 character minimum.

There is no GUE forum on SB. GUE has its own forum on the GUE website. You have to be a member to view it.

There is a DIR forum on SB.DIR - ScubaBoard

As long as I am making a PITA of myself -- Why does GUE list a "GUE Primer" class when there is none listed, or available, nor is there a book in the listing?

So, as I understand this, a DIR diver is one who follows the standards of GUE, which is touted to be a much higher standard than 'regular' agencies . . . Are they also a certification agency? Or are they like a "specialty" add-on? . . . and as TS&M stated, she can dive with like-trained people and always be certain you all hold to the same standard?

Close? Missed the target?

Certainly, you can have a community of divers who are used to one another and have the same feeling of teamwork. But it comes with the system, the way I dive, and it's spread out over the world, so that it's likely that, no matter where I go, I'll be able to find people to dive with who feel like old friends.

My sentiments exactly. You'd think from the internets that I would have such a limited amount of people to dive with, be saying "no" to dives all the time cause they didn't suit some exacting DIR specification, yada yada. I have found exactly the opposite to be true. Its not all all hard to find the buddies worldwide. They are some of the most generous and kind hearted divers who loan me equipment, know local logistics already, and all the other elements of building fun times.

As long as I am making a PITA of myself -- Why does GUE list a "GUE Primer" class when there is none listed, or available, nor is there a book in the listing?

Its available and has been "taught" its mostly lecture with alot less in water time than GUE-F. Usually done the day before a GUE-F class for those who aren't ready to make a full committment. Any GUE-F instructor can run one, just ask.

Time flies. I remember reading about your into to diving! :D

Ironically, I have buddies that I mesh with as seemlessly as your GUE buddies, but we are not GUE trained, nor do we have *everything* exactly the same. OTOH, how hard is it to learn where someones inflator, reg/Octo, ditch weights are? Not very!

I also have many DIR trained buddies, and we dive well together.

Equipment is not the issue IMO, but rather the attitude of a buddy. I'm betting you would be very comfortable diving with us. We piddle around like old men (well maybe some of us are), and enjoy the sights, and the experience.

Back
Top Bottom