DEMA Listening Session

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
In what appears to be an honest effort by DEMA to try and understand the recent surge of malcontent aimed at it and it's BOD, they conducted a Listening session today at the Rosen Center. Attending the session was the entire BOD sitting behind a table and maybe 20 or so people in the audience. 3X5 cards were passed out for us to write our names/businesses on so we could be recognized to speak. I did not intend to do anything but listen, so I left mine sitting on the chair.

The meeting was called to order and before we began, the reason for the special "rules" were explained. Apparently, this was DEMA's response to a legal request for disclosure. They apologized and indicated that they were as frustrated with the rules, but that they would follow their legal counsel in this matter. IOW: it's the lawyer's fault!

After this they asked for the cards. Only one was give: Rick Stratton, the owner of Northwest Dive News. Rick, apologized for his part in besmirching the reputation of the BOD and yet made it plain he was for term limits and one member/one vote.

It then became apparent that no one else wanted to speak. A couple of embarrassing minutes passed when another gentleman stepped forward, and indicated that he too was for term limits and one member/one vote.

After a few more awkward moments, I asked to speak. I told them that if a red dot appeared on my chest or face, I would be ducking, and then introduced myself as the evil internet! I then pointed out that the backlash they were experiencing was a combination of a sour economy, lack of transparency and a feeling of alienation by many of the members. I also pointed out that they could get defensive or use the opportunity to examine what really needed to change. I don't believe that most of us hate the BOD, and many of us believe that the resignation by Al did not solve a thing and just may, in fact, have obscured the real issues.

The meeting was adjourned and then SDI/TDI's Brian Carney spoke up to say just that he would be addressing the entire membership on Thursday, and did not want to address such a small crowd. (It was small).

The discourse after the meeting was far more productive. I was able to talk with Keith Sahm and Jim Byrem. I pointed out that DEMA needed to communicate a LOT better, as I found out about the meeting third hand. Keith disagreed with me flat out and pointed to a number of D-Mails and that it was on their web site. Given the fact that so few people were there, I would have to guess that if Keith was right, then we have the most apathetic organization in the world. Perhaps the timing was off and having this meeting on the eve of the Big Show was in error. On the other hand, possibly the dearth of members present was indeed a function of poor communications on their part! You be the judge. On a more conciliatory note, Jim assured me that there was absolutely no grudge being held against ScubaBoard and cited the fact that I often post opposing view points. It was good to hear that, but frankly: I think there is still a bit of distrust among the BOD. I get the idea that they think the internet is a great passing fad, but really not that important to business.

Thursday's meeting will be interesting. I will again attempt to be silent and try to absorb what each side is saying. I certainly hope that we have more peeps come out either for or against. We certainly did not enjoy a quorum this afternoon!

Suggestion. It would be very helpful if people of the USI attending DEAM meetings would report via internet right there. Or perhaps Twitter? Then those of us who cannot be there in person can at least follow along and even make suggestions or pose questions. Just a thought.

Jane if you have any thoughts or questions for Thursday's meeting, please feel free to PM me or to voice them right here.

Thanks for speaking up Pete. I'm actually quite shocked it was so sparsely attended and that so few spoke. Hopefully the session later this week will be much more eventful.

I look forward to following the events via SB. I'm not a dive professional but I am a Divemaster. I assist a couple of instructors essentially on a volunteer basis. I am, however, keenly interested in the scuba industry and have been following the recent events. I hope to be able to keep up on the goings-on in Orlando vicariously via the Evil Internet!

.........The meeting was called to order and before we began, the reason for the special "rules" were explained. Apparently, this was DEMA's response to a legal request for disclosure. They apologized and indicated that they were as frustrated with the rules, but that they would follow their legal counsel in this matter. IOW: it's the lawyer's fault! ...

I read the rules .... OMG !
During my career I have been on Boards of much powerful organizations where way more money was at stake and we NEVER let attorneys dictate us how to run our meetings. To me this is another sign of weak management.

......I pointed out that DEMA needed to communicate a LOT better, as I found out about the meeting third hand. Keith disagreed with me flat out and pointed to a number of D-Mails and that it was on their web site....
I am a DEMA member .... but checking daily DEMA website is not on the top of my priorities list .... I learned about Thursday meetings on ScubaBoard !
On the other hand, when they want, they know how to use emails .... in fact, the ONLY email I received from DEMA recently (few days ago) was the reminder to renew my membership. This tells you where DEMA priorities are :(

...... I get the idea that they think the internet is a great passing fad, but really not that important to business....
DEMA needs a strong wake up call on this matter ....
Let me tell you an anecdote ...recently I was talking with a business associate and his son (~15 years old) was with us.
We were discussing how the Internet is going to change - even more - the training side of the SCUBA industry and somehow the eBay name came out.
When he heard eBay, his son became more interested and participated in our conversation. When he realized that eBay was founded not long ago he made a very simple but profound statement ...."How did we (me and his father) DO before eBay?"
I believe that we can translate his question to "How did we DO before the Internet?"

This kid represent the next generation of SCUBA divers.
We (and DEMA) need to understand them, get ready for them and make diving interesting for them.

Alberto

I really would like to know if they are going to do anything about the one vote one company and if they will take a step back from all the exotic trips and really start to promote local diving. We don't have all the pretty fishes but what we do have are places that people can really work on their skills and actually become better divers as opposed to the "Underwater Tourists", yes you can call them that and credit it to me, that they seem to be going after now that really DO NOT BENEFIT the shops and manufacturers that DEMA is supposed to represent. And just out of curiosity why does it seem that although there were people at the meeting they were hesitant to speak out? Is the BOD that intimidating. I've never seen any of them but I can pretty much bet that I most likely would have gotten thrown out for not shutting my mouth and asking too many questions and demanding straight answers. No Political BS just " ARe you going to give equal representation? YES or NO. Period. Are you going to institute REAL term limits? YES OR NO. Why may be asked after those things but just like politicians if you even give them a hint that they can weasel, squirm, or lie then you have already screwed any chance of getting a straight answer.

Jim,

The Board did not answer one single comment or question at this event. It was designed for them to LISTEN only.

But more to the point: People who have signed the petition have been approached by DEMA staff and asked why they are trying to sabotage DEMA. WOW. I know it's the tendency to vilify those who disagree with you and I have been made aware of friends on the BOD wonding why I didn't just call them before I posted my piece on "Be a Diver". I suspect that many who would like to speak out simply won't due to the perception that they will be labeled a trouble maker, as it seems I have been. Now why the low attendence? Here is what I gathered today in an informal poll.

I talked with 43 people today that indicated that they are a DEMA member. Each one was asked a series of questions and while this does not represent a scientific poll, the results were amazing.

question|Yes|No|Other
Did you know about Listening Meeting yesterday?|2|40|1 (after the fact)
Do you know about the upcoming DEMA Members Meeting on Thursday?|25|18|--
Are you planning on going?|2|20|21 (not sure)
Do you get DEMAil?|37|2|4 (not sure)
Did you find out about the first meeting from DEMA?|1|42|--
Did you find out about the second meeting from DEMA?|4|21|18 (did not know)
Do you know about the Unified Diving Industry meeting tomorrow?|24|9|2-organizers 8-Did not ask!

For those who did know and didn't or aren't attending, I asked them why. The predominant answer was that they just didn't care because DEMA did not affect them at all. They are here to SELL and will not get sidetracked by something that can not help or hurt them. Wow.

Jim,

The Board did not answer one single comment or question at this event. It was designed for them to LISTEN only.

well when they need a lawyer to tell them how to listen and we need a lawyer to figure out how their lawyer wants us to talk to them I can ONLY conclude they don't want to listen and they don't want us to talk. To draw any other conclusion is simply stupid.

IMHO it was designed so they can assert they tried to listen but we didn't want to talk, as "no one" showed up to speak...I got as much today from a couple DEMA BOD members, I disagree and did. The held the meeting the day before the show opened, MANY visiting members had not even arrived and MANY exhibiting members were busy getting their booths ready. The session was 2-PM on the last day of set up, which ended at 5 PM, we HAD to be set up by then.... Which had the priority to us? being ready to rock today obviously. Not only do not all the exhibitors have a staff to do set up but I saw some owners and Presidents/CEO's of some VERY BIG companies in the industry sweating their butts off setting up their booths. The disconnect from the reality of the industry they are supposed to represent is horrific.

well when they need a lawyer to tell them how to listen and we need a lawyer to figure out how their lawyer wants us to talk to them I can ONLY conclude they don't want to listen and they don't want us to talk. To draw any other conclusion is simply stupid.

IMHO it was designed so they can assert they tried to listen but we didn't want to talk, as "no one" showed up to speak...I got as much today from a couple DEMA BOD members, I disagree and did. The held the meeting the day before the show opened, MANY visiting members had not even arrived and MANY exhibiting members were busy getting their booths ready. The session was 2-PM on the last day of set up, which ended at 5 PM, we HAD to be set up by then.... Which had the priority to us? being ready to rock today obviously. Not only do not all the exhibitors have a staff to do set up but I saw some owners and Presidents/CEO's of some VERY BIG companies in the industry sweating their butts off setting up their booths. The disconnect from the reality of the industry they are supposed to represent is horrific.

sounds to me like they scheduled exactly when they wanted to..... (if you know what I mean).

20 people.... that's pretty bad.

thanks for the report Pete.

Back
Top Bottom