I Believe! is PADI's New Theme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK, I admit that I was drawn to this meeting because of the PADI social. Hey, the good folk at PADI know how to throw a shindig, and the atmosphere is always casual and fun. How could I go wrong?

Early. Somehow, I got to the party early. I don't know how, but if you are going to miss all the talking heads, it's important to show up 15 minutes late. Anyway, since I was there, I walked into the Grand Ballroom with HowardE to see the entire place PACKED and listening attentively to this guy on the stage with three victims, er volunteers. After listening for a bit, I leaned over and whispered to HowardE: "Sounds like pscho-babble to me!" and HowardE looked back in surprise and said "They brought in a motivational speaker?" I started to look for a place to sit since my ankle started whining a bit. After all, I had surgery for a broken Achilles tendon this past February, and I have four more days of walking and standing to endure!

But the guy, Joel, was having fun, so were the participants and he had the audience eating right out of his hand. On top of this, our good friend Annie Crowley was one of the volunteers. I shifted my weight a bit and started to listen a bit trying to figure out what was going on. I was getting intrigued!

It seems that Joel was conducting an exercise. He would demonstrate three things to the first volunteer: a location, an occupation and an object, she would in turn try to communicate these to the next person and he would communicate these to Annie. You could only speak Gibberish (he's heard some of our instructors!) and had to stop when the receivor said they understood!

You know. This was way entertaining to watch, from the practised MC all the way to Annie actually getting all three things correct! (Space ship, belly dancer and giraffe). What's more, he made a really good point: in order to communicate effectively, you have to understand your audience. I couldn't help but think of so many people who have come to ScubaBoard to straighten everyone out on how to really dive! As Joel pointed out, once you have ignored your listener's unique background, you become spam to them: Click, delete and IGNORE! This was some pretty good stuff for mere psycho-babble! He also pointed out that the best way to transmit or receive a message was to get involved in the process. This was good stuff, but I must admit that I was glad to see them start to wheel in a good number of bars. It was about time to PARTAY!

But it wasn't quite time yet. They started this thing of giving the mic and cam on individuals so they could say: "I believe!" After about the tenth one, I leaned over to HowardE again and said "They call us a cult!" But in actuality they were being quite sincere. Then a new MC came on and started going on about how lucky we were for working in the Dive Industry. He pointed out that many of our family and friends think we are just on permanent vacation and having the time of our lives. He was right. Fortunately, no one was asked to throw down their crutches, but they didn't stop there. They had their director of marketing and communications come up and she told us all that PADI had done in marketing this past year and what they were planning on doing. The fresh marketing approach was impressive. As a marketeer myself, I was floored at the sheer number of people they have reached this year: 34+ billion!

So PADI, be proud of where you have come and even more proud of where you are going. You have every reason to BELIEVE. To believe in your agency, in the industry and most importantly: YOURSELVES. You'll find me rooting for you all the way!

As a caveat, they finally did open the bars and they served a wonderful munchies. Did I tell you that those PADI folk sure know how to put on a shindig? You can believe in that too!

They had their director of marketing and communications come up and she told us all that PADI had done in marketing this past year and what they were planning on doing. The fresh marketing approach was impressive. As a marketeer myself, I was floored at the sheer number of people they have reached this year: 34+ billion!

As a marketer I would love to get a better understanding of how they managed to reach FIVE TIMES as many people as actually live on the planet. (6.7B people)

That's pretty good reach, huh?

Ironic for a organization who's new rallying cry is "I Believe!"

:shakehead:

Pete, sounds as if you may have been typing after some time at the PADI bars.

There is no way PADI reached 34 BILLION people. That is unless they do their usual math, counting everyone multiple times.

PADI does have the bucks, more than any other entity in diving-I believe.

I do hope he meant 3.4 billion :D

Unfortunately, that number is just as unlikely.

I actually hope they said 34 billion because that number is so far off that I'll just figure they don't know what they're talking about and are off-base through no fault of their own. If however they're saying they reached 3.4 billion people that tells me they are just flat-out lying.

I do hope he meant 3.4 billion :D

or 34 Million?

THAT'S IT! He's been listening to the news too much, and has accidently made the "m" to a "b", just like congress!

There is no way PADI reached 34 BILLION people. That is unless they do their usual math, counting everyone multiple times.

Even if they were counting total exposures (# of people x # hits per person) it would still be impossible. For a little perspective, consider this:

A Super Bowl ad reaches approximately 100million people, so in order to hit a total of 34 billion exposures you would need to run a Super Bowl ad every year for 340 YEARS in order to get 34 billion exposures.

If they meant 3.4 billion you'd only need to run the ad every year for 34 years.

:shakehead:

RJP:

You are a pro so you know.

I was just ribbing NetDoc a bit. Maybe the speaker said 34 million-still a very impressive number 10% or so of the total US population.

I don't know. I was not there. We all seem to agree that any number in the billions, no matter how spliced, is simply ridiculous.

It does seem that there was that old time religious fervor going on last night.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom