So near and yet so far...heading for the sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Maybe this is best in "whine and cheese", but...

I'm a "landlubber" who lives about 8 hours from the ocean, but I'll be headed to Galveston today, and that's about the closest I can get. I'll be presenting a workshop at the Conference for the Advancement of Science Teaching (CAST) along with about 6000 other science teachers and education professionals. Now this is the strange part...even though I don't live anywhere close to the ocean, I'll be presenting a session about five critical issues concerning the sea: run off and hypoxic zones, the Pacific gyre pollution, overfishing (specifically bycatch and shark finning), the lionfish encroachment, and ocean acidification. The goal is to put some of these issues on teachers' radar screens so that we can reach the coming generation concerning preserving the oceans' health.
Here's the whine...I'm going to be that close to the sea and won't have ANY opportunity to dive! As much as I would love to get in some dives at the Flower Gardens NMS (my favorite) or maybe some rig dives, it just doesn't fit in with the schedule. sigh...

Oh, well, I'll be busy with volunteering at the NOAA/FGBNMS booth. At least there are other divers there to rub shoulders with. Sometimes, that just has to do.

Go a couple days earlier and your problem is solved.

LOL...yes, that would be a nice solution except for: 1) my boss (doesn't like me being gone TOO much) and 2) I'll have my (non-diving) wife with me on this trip. Couple all that with a much-too-busy schedule, and things get crazy.

However, that's a really good idea for next time!

Back
Top Bottom