Dania Pier Cleanup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
From the Sun-Sentinel

Group to help clean up Dania Beach Pier -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Fishing should soon be a lot better at the Dania Beach Pier, thanks to a cleanup to be held Saturday.

"We're just going to go under the pier looking for fishing line and lead sinkers and try to clean up the area underneath and around the pier," said Bradette Jepsen, of Divers Cove, a dive shop in Davie that organized the event.

"In September, we did a reef cleanup dive, and we found that our customers are really interested in doing something like this. We called Dania Beach, and they said they were interested."

The cleanup starts at 8 a.m., during which time the pier will be closed to fishing. Jepsen, who owns Divers Cove with her husband, Michael Dunn, said they welcome divers as well as volunteers to be on the pier to help lift and sort through the trash.

The recovered sinkers will be donated to the IGFA junior fishing program.

Divers must have their certification cards. Divers Cove will provide free air tank fills and any rental gear needed.

For information, call Divers Cove at 954-473-1220.

I'm bummed, I've been waiting all these years to dive the Dania pier and I have to be out of town this weekend.

I'm bummed too. I work every Saturday. I haven't dived under that pier in probably 25 years, it was damaged and closed at that time, I got LOTS of fishing tackle from under there.

Is it safe to do this when it is pretty wavy?

The weather report doesn't look good, maybe it will get postoned

Friday... Northeast winds 20 to 25 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet near shore and up to 9 feet in the Gulf Stream. North swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters rough in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers.
Friday Night... Northeast winds 20 to 25 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet near shore and up to 9 feet in the Gulf Stream. Northeast swell 2 feet. Intracoastal waters rough in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers.
Saturday... East winds around 20 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Northeast swell 2 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers.
Saturday Night... East winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers.
Sunday... East winds around 20 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers.

Drat. I am busy on Saturday morning. Would love to join the clean up.

I just saw this post and wish I could go...... But I'm working anyway. I remember doing this clean-up several years ago, it was a great time.

Crap..... the 14th is not good either. Going to see Mom for her B-day and getting Turkey Day out of way as well.

Maybe next year......

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom