Annoyed with my BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wreckchick

Scubavangelist
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Well, it's official. My BC and I are having conflicts. I currently have a Mares Dragonfly with Airtrim and I've been fussing with it for ages to get my trim sorted. I went out yesterday and with the help of a scubaboard local tried to get the weighting/trim thing under control.

We came to a couple conclusions:
1) it really does take 20# to sink me
2) the bc won't put me in good trim with the available weighting options

My feet are heavy, the tank is up as high as it goes, and all my weight is in the front integrated weight pockets, the rear trim pockets sit lower than the front ones.

To use my current rig I need a couple pounds up high. The solutions I've heard so far are: V-weight ($65), ankle weights to wrap around the tank neck ($30), hang bullet weights from my chest d-rings (not priced this option but really, it seems dumb), and that's about it.

I'm seriously considering looking at other options in buoyancy compensating devices, but haven't committed in my head yet and was wondering what anyone's thoughts were about fixing the current problem without throwing a bunch of money into a losing situation.

Thanks in advance!!

Rachel

I've heard of a few folks that put two bullet weights on the upper tank band, one on each side of the tank. That may help.

I won't tell you need a bp/wing ( although you do ) but I've threaded a hard weight right on the cam band, provided it's long enough. Gives you a bit more than an ankle weight on the top of the tank.

Laser is absolutely correct. The bp and wing will square you away and you can fine tune the buoyancy with keel weights.

I doubt it would fit, but if you are considering a new BC and want to try something like a back plate and wing I would be willing to let you try my Deep Outdoors Matrix. I am sure I can persuade my wife to let my use her bc if mine would fit you. Besides, that would be another excuse for me to go diving. :)

If I decide to go with a new BC, I'll be getting a bp/w. The Oxycheq wings are due out soon and I'll be able to get a sneak peek and maybe a test dive. The problem is I can't afford one right now so I have to work with what I have. Sadly, switching to a bp/w isn't as simple as just getting a new bc, I'll have to reconfigure EVERYTHING and that's a real drag and a wallet drain.

R

P.S. Welcome back and congrats!!!

biscuit7 once bubbled...
Sadly, switching to a bp/w isn't as simple as just getting a new bc, I'll have to reconfigure EVERYTHING and that's a real drag and a wallet drain.

Sure it is. Changing from one BC to another wouldn't force any other equipment changes, with a couple of possible exceptions:

1. If you are using an air integrated octo. In this case you would either have to buy a new octo, something that can be done for less than $60 buying new, or just move the air integrated unit.

2. You'll probsbly either have to buy a weight belt or some pouches. That can be as low as $10.

Very few people start diving a hog rig. Very few switch to a hog setup all at once. Most of us got there in pieces.

James

biscuit7 once bubbled...
If I decide to go with a new BC, I'll be getting a bp/w. The Oxycheq wings are due out soon and I'll be able to get a sneak peek and maybe a test dive. .....snip
I found this playing around on the Koplin website . They show the New Oxycheq wings, but they are not listed on the OxyCheq site yet, so the price and availability is unknown at this point. Interesting though, it looks close!

I just emailed them for a price. I got a very quick reply. So they must already be for sale.
Gianna

Back
Top Bottom