kids beginning gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting my 13 y/o daughter certified for our trip to Kauai. Any suggestions on what to buy (and brand) for her starting out??? (I don't want to buy everything of course since she'll be growing.)
Thanks!

My two cents worth...

Realizing that you didn't post where you live/dive (warm like Hawaii or cold like Pacific coast or North Atlantic)...

I started diving with my twelve yo twin daughters a year ago June. At first we were renting their gear every weekend that we went diving; it got to be ridiculously expensive, but the LDS owner and I discussed the fact that (eventually) they will grow, and grow out of BCDs and wet suits. So far, that hasn't really materialized since they are rather petite AND the smallest 7mm wet suits are women's extra small...and these are still large on them (seems that wet suit manufacturers don't think that kids will dive cold water).

All said, my opinion is that you can think about buying regs/computer/gauges since they won't be grown out of. BCD may last her a couple to a few years, and you could think about trading in/trading up when the time comes. We actually ended up buying the XS BCDs that they used during OW and AOW since the LDS had purchased them specifically for my kids (he had nothing in stock small enough to fit them, so essentially we bought their own rental gear!). Same with the 7mm wet suit, hood, boots and gloves. We figured that the cost to rent vs buy would be offset by the fourth or fifth weekend of diving this year.

I guess you have to ask yourselves how much she'll be diving locally. If she's only going to dive on vacation but rarely at home, it probably doesn't pay to buy afterall.

Again, just my 2 cents.:) :) :)

where they fit a kid under 16 with a Transpac II, I think it is. Then they upgrade the system as the kid grows, until they are 16. I'm sure others on this board can give more specific info.

I just bought my 14 yr old daughter a 7mm wetsuit today. We went with Henderson Hyperstretch for her to allow for some future possible growth.

Julie

I bought my daughter a regulator since she won't outgrow that. She is using a Cobra that I don't use since going with the Vyper. I got her fins and off course a decent quality mask that fits her.

I've been thinking about the BC, and have "almost" come to the conclusion that she will get a Backplate and wings. Ultimately adjustable for those last few inches of growth. The BP&W packs better than some of the other BCs out there as well for those out of town trips.

I looked at some of the other offerings out there. But all of them would have us buying more and more equipment as she outgrew the previous set.

start with the basics that dont caost loads then when she starts to stop growing buy her the rest of the needed gear. thats what my mum did for me

I bought my son, he was 12, and my 10 year old daughter gear. They both got computers-can't outgrow those. Then because rental bcd's are hard for the small guys, I got Zeagle Scouts. You can change and adjust Zeagles and they have smaller lift capacity bladders so they are easier for them to control. They both have Scubapro twin jet fins and good masks- keepers through adulthood. Then I got regs for them. In all, only the wetsuits need replacing as they grow. And I got Henderson for those. My lds is really very good, in that when Haley grows out of her adult small Zeagle-though tiny, she fits it fine with all the adjustments you can make to the fit, they will trade it with me for difference in price of a Ranger. Same with Justin. It is a great deal. I have traded wetsuits once already. They get to put them into their school gear and I get a great break. By the way, the Scouts are really inexpensive. The highest end item was the reg and those should last.
good luck

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom