Scubacraft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vladimir

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just saw this on CNN and was surprised nobody seems to have linked it here:

Scubacraft explores surface and depths - CNN.com

Click on the link to see the picture. Here's the article:

(WIRED) -- The vehicle shown above may be both yellow and submersible, but please don't call it a submarine. It's a Scubacraft, the first self-contained submersible that's also a capable surface watercraft.

The brainchild of engineers and entrepreneurs from Wales, Scubacraft uses an internal-combustion engine to reach a dive site where it can descend to a maximum depth of about 100 feet. "The experience is simply exhilarating," Scubacraft sales and marketing director James Browne told Wired.com. "Nothing else can compare to traveling to a dive site at 50 mph and then powering effortlessly under the water."

It's not a pressurized submarine, which means that those on board must wear scuba gear before submersion. With no cranes needed to lower the craft below water and no boat needed to carry it out to sea, a Scubacraft is significantly more versatile and less expensive than similarly sized submarines. Scubacraft won't say how much the craft costs, but other sources put the figure at $164,000.

That's a lot of cash, but Browne says you might recoup pretty quickly. While the company isn't ignoring the lucrative Dr. No-wannabe market, Browne says that Scubacraft ownership "presents a range of commercial applications, as well as the opportunity [to] offer people underwater adventure tours and generate revenue."

Beyond underwater tourism, Browne says film producers are especially interested. A future Scubacraft concept even features a dedicated filming platform that hopefully will be used for IMAX nature films, not Waterworld 2.

"We are actively engaged with a number of film producers who have expressed interest in using it as a filming platform due to the unique opportunities it presents in being able to track subjects on the surface and then enter underwater," Browne said. "This ability has never before been available in the film and television industry."

The company will eventually offer two models: the SC3, currently in prototype form, and a larger SC6 that has yet to be built. Both will use internal-combustion engines on the surface; batteries will power electric thrusters underwater. As a precaution against the bends, computerized "automatic depth control" ensures that the Scubacraft won't descend or climb too quickly.

Browne says that in the week Scubacraft has been on sale, "the response has been simply overwhelming. We are working our way through these inquiries and actively engaging with prospective customers to specify their requirements."

Do you remember the "personal water-craft" James Bond "launched" out the side of the building to chase the bad girl's boat in the River Thames? Greg Hunter was an extreme sports inventor who built the first sky diving head mounted camera helmets (HeadHunter Helmets). He also worked for over 20 years on his "primary" invention, the JetSub.

His involvement in skydiving, like designing and producing the helmets used by the US military demonstration jump teams, put him in regular contact with the stunt crews responsible for most of the Bond stunts. They knew of the JetSub and begged Greg for years to get 'er done so they could use it in Bond movies, but he refused to let his share drop below 51% in any start-up financing, so he never secured the necessary funding. I invested enough to get a 10% stake, but before we could get a product to market he died in a tandem skydive accident.

We did finish the prototype and successfully proved concept only months before his death. It was a jet ski type boat that used the internal combustion engine on the surface, then you sealed that engine compartment and glided for descent, operated on two electric scooter fans at depth and glided to surface, with an open bottom buoyancy bubble in the bow and 4 stability ballast's on the corners. This was a "wet" sub, with tanks mounted in the fuselage and regulators coming out of the cockpit wall. There was also a longer "snuba" like reg in the "bonnet" for "excursions."

The Bond guys couldn't wait and the water-craft in the movie is their non-fully submersible mock-up of Greg's design; remember when he went "just" under the gate? Theirs of course also had an actual Jet engine. :shakehead:

I have pictures, videos and a lightwave animation of the JetSub, as well as the investor packages we developed for our financing attempts. That is one of my "hope to finishes" currently on a financially remote back burner. I'm on the mainland through Jan, but if someone bumps this thread in early Feb I will post some pics. :D

PS - Obviously Greg also never secured a patent; let that be a lesson to all of us!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom