OW gear in a chlorine pool ?

Do you put your OW gear in a chlorine pool ?

• Yes

Votes: 45 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 18 28.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TWarnock

Reaction score
Do you put your gear in a pool ? If not, why not ? If you do, what is the proper way to clean it when you take it out ?

Yes, I do use my OW gear in a chlorinated pool, constantly. When done, I rinse everything with fresh water and let it dry. I use my gear in the pool and open water several times a week, all year long, it's been used and abused for a few years and with some common sense after care, it's still going strong.

The key is to rinse thoroughly all gear that goes in a pool. Rinse with fresh water. I usually bring my stuff right in the shower with me...

I try not to, but sometimes it's not worth a trip to the lake or the bay for a quick equipment or buoyancy check, so I'll hit the pool.

This is followed by a shower as soon as I'm out of the water (still in the gear at poolside), then the gear soaks in the bathtub for a couple of hours.

RichLockyer once bubbled...
I try not to, but sometimes it's not worth a trip to the lake or the bay for a quick equipment or buoyancy check, so I'll hit the pool.

I'm lukcy. My LDS just build a new "aquacenter" with a nice deep pool that he is using a non clorine based sanitation system in. $15 for 2 hours and I can get used to any equipment/config changes without worrying about it.

This is followed by a shower as soon as I'm out of the water (still in the gear at poolside), then the gear soaks in the bathtub for a couple of hours.

Yep, though I leave the stuff in the bathtub overnight and deal with it the next day. Not really needed for pool water but after a salt water dive it's the only way to be sure all the salt has disolved.

James

When I travel I use the pool at the hotel to rinse the salt off. After all, the drinking water is chlorinated too in most cases. The salt is much worse than a little chlorine.

James Goddard once bubbled...
I'm lukcy. My LDS just build a new "aquacenter" with a nice deep pool that he is using a non clorine based sanitation system in. $15 for 2 hours and I can get used to any equipment/config changes without worrying about it.
Be careful... he's either going to have to use Chlorine or Bromine. An advantage of Bromine is that it is a more consistent level without the spikes of chlorine treatment.
An ozonator can be used to reduce the dependence on chemical sanitizers, but I don't know if they are effective for a pool (they are popular on spas).
Bromine has a Ph level of only 3.0 (quite acidic), where chlorine is about 7.1... much closer to neutral.

Chlorine is a strong oxidizer (i.e. very corrosive). I bought a cheap $25 BC to use in the pool and use shop regs when I'm helping out with a class. Even after rinsing, then soaking overnight in well water then rinsing again, the BC still smells like chlorine. It's already starting to discolor and the old SS tank strap buckle is getting some pitting. I don't EVEN want to subject my expensive gear and especially the regs to this. After diving in salt water, I soak my gear for a few hours before it has a chance to dry.

Back
Top Bottom