Trim Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sarcastic comment #1: You're dog-paddling all wrong. More arms, less legs. :D
Sarcastic comment #2: You're diving in green water. (manual white balance before recording)

You need to move more ballast from your head down toward your feet. Shift the tank down a little. Ankle weights? Heavier fins? Are you wearing gaiters? I can't really tell from the video. With baggy drysuit legs, it's possible to trap more air in the lower extremities. Gaiters can be helpful in this case. Sometimes it can be helpful to add a fleece top, which should trap more air in your torso (then add any additional offsetting lead to the hip region). This has the positive side benefit of keeping you a little warmer, which is not such a bad thing in the PNW (I imagine).
From the video, I can't really tell if you're running a lot of air in your legs. What happens if you get vertical, embrace the lower body squeeze, and then return to a horizontal position while keeping knees flexed? Are you less head-heavy then? Just a thought.

Can you describe to us where all of your lead is distributed?

BTW, are you especially fond of otters?

Last edited:
I think the clip is too short to get a really good sense of the problem. I agree that it seems to indicate air trapped in the legs, but if so, we start the clip with the air already there. You are already starting to invert at the start, and you never really get back to whatever is normal.

Is this a constant occurrence throughout the dive, or does it happen at moments? Is there a time when you are feeling OK during the dive?

I would like to see a longer version so I can see a time when you are not already in a battle.

Nice Fins!

As stated, adjust your weight further south. You may also have some ballooning of the legs, but we can't tell from this little clip.

How many dives do you have in a drysuit? It looks to me like you were fine until you went a little inverted and the air traveled to your legs.

You probably were not neutrally buoyant before this happened. If you stopped moving would you have stayed in one place? You also probably have too much air in the suit so of course when you go inverted that travels to your legs.

It's hard to tell from the short clip. You probably need to keep more air in your BC and less in your suit. You need to make sure you can stop moving and still stay in one place or you are actually positively buoyant which compounds the problem when you go inverted.

Imagining a line drawn through your trim and watching the bottom, I'm going with 'floaty feet'. Your suit looked properly crushed, maybe a bit big on you. Heavy Jet fins or ankle weights?

I had a problem with floaty feet when I first started. My diving mentor told me to arch my back. Head up feet up in a frog kick position and stomach down kind of in a U shape. It always seems to work for me wet or dry. I'm sure heavier fins would help as well. It could also be a problem with too much air in your drysuit going to your legs.

Try the arching, or less air in drysuit or gaiters. Too many variables to pin it down but there are alot of things you could try......

You can't tell from the video; it's too short. Maybe you should start by trying to hover motionless. Air in your feet is not a permanent problem; the bubble moves to the high spot regardless which body part that is. You'll just have to keep trying with different configurations; but mainly, you need to try to hover motionless.

Back
Top Bottom