Benchmark Masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gee13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All

Im am looking to get a new mask - currently use Oceanic Batmask. I have done some research and came across the Mares X-Vision standard and liquid skin versions. What im looking to get is a benchmark type mask which is top quality and performance-wise just like the Avanti Quattros I use are top performing 'benchmark' style fins. I don't really need any frills- just a good field of vision, quality gear, comfortable fit, and reliable. Anyone care to share their ideas and experiences?

I hear the X-Vision is to fit a larger style face, that's what Im not too sure about. My face I would consider medium standard adult male. The Batmask fits well for me. Are there other masks I should be loking at?

Thanks

I am afraid it is next to impossible to recommend masks.

Every person is different, and while for clothing or other dive equipment there is at least quasi-standardized size measurements, there is no such thing for faces.

So my recommendation is to try as many masks as possible. Maybe as a first step you can narrow down what type you prefer (e.g. framless, subscription glasses etc).
You don't have to testdive them all: if a mask doesn't feel comfortable and sticks to your face with minimal inhalation effort (slight vacuum), keep looking.

The good news is that quality-wise today you'll be hard pressed to find a bad mask, as long as you stay with known brands.

Btw, I have Tusa Imprex with optical glasses, but again, this is not very relevant and the manufacturers also update the models frequently

I am afraid it is next to impossible to recommend masks.

That's true...unless you recommend an Atomic Aquatics Frameless!

4516bf2cd80bd44737591bd8a347b83b.jpg

Very easy mask to recommend!

Atomic Frameless, if there is a mask "benchmark" then the Atomic Frameless is it.

The saying goes that you must try mask after mask until the magic one comes along. Really, most people can wear the majority of masks. They may not like the look, style or feel but they will fit and work. Of course, there are those people, mustaches, beards, small faces, big noses and other such things that may favor one mask over another. If you fall in that small range there is always plastic surgery, lol.

N

I would also vote for the Atomic Aquatics - if you are lucky and it fits you. It fits me well, but all my buddies had wet noses when diving it. The good news is that there are many clones of this design (like Scubapro Orbit, Sherwood Rona and Tilos Excel). From all versions, I find that the Tilos Excel fits me even better than the original, so now the Atomic is my spare.

That's true...unless you recommend an Atomic Aquatics Frameless!

4516bf2cd80bd44737591bd8a347b83b.jpg

Very easy mask to recommend!
That mask sucked balls for me.

I'm now using a knock off no name mask that i picked up used for $20 and love it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. If I ever lose them I'm in trouble since I don't know what they are...

Thanks guys, so Atomic Aquatics frameless. What does this have that you think others don't. I understand about fit, personal preference etc What's the RRP on this?

So no one would put the Mares X-Vision up there???

.....I have one of those Atomic Frameless (BLACK) that I use as a spare/loaner (or stuff into a BC mask pocket as a spare for me during a dive) ....and that mask has not only worked great for me, it has also literally saved the dive trips of 2 other divers on 2 separate trips (once during a week in Bonaire...and again on a 4-day liveaboard in the TX Flower Gardens)....so I don't know what the 'magic' is....but it just seems to work across the board....also, Atomic now actually has 2 'sizes' of this mask, further increasing the probability of success for you. Although I'm fortunate in that I can wear a variety of masks....there are lots of people who have big problems finding a good/well-fitting mask, and for those divers, cost is essentially immaterial, they will pay whatever price is needed to get a good mask...without that critical need dealt with first, there is very little point in even scuba diving in the first place!

I could see that it might not fit, or leaked, or that you simply did not like it but for it to
That mask sucked balls for me
would be a trick I would not want to see, must really hurt.

N

You're looking for a "Benchmark, top-performing" mask, but you don't need any "frills?" No offense, please, but that sounds funny to me. A mask is a mask - a piece of rubber with glass windows so you can see underwater. I go with what fits me best and offers a good field of view. Done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom