AK Diving for outsiders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lucky1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello-

My wife and I are new divers with some fantastic experience in warmer waters (67-84; GA FL MX). We have 19 dives and PADI AOW cert. We have dealt with drift, low vis, caverns, night etc. We are planning to go to AK for two weeks next summer for other reasons, but if it is wise, I would like to do a day or two of diving. We will mostly be near Anchorage on the coast and Fairbanks/Denali in the interior. The details have not been planned.

Given the above description, would it be safe to explore the wonders of the AK coast (if so we would obtain drysuit cert. and experience before we go)? Or are these waters best left to experts? I have only found one dive op in Anchorage (I haven't looked very hard). Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

Also, given our area, what months would be best? We are looking to travel in July and August, but that is also not confirmed.

Thank you for the help...

Hello Lucky1,
I have one question are you dry suit certified?
Diving here can be excellent.
July visibility can be murky at best (plankton). 20 to 30 feet is good stuff.
August can sometimes be a little better depending on how much rain we get.
Maybe I'll see you next year.

Alaska diving is awesome! It is recommended that you become drysuit certified and somewhat comfortable with drysuit diving. You might also consider AOW certification because a number of the sites are abit deeper. Check out Scott and Karen at DiveAlaska as they have excellent equipment rentals, advanced training and run a wonderful charter service out of Seward during the summer months (July and August preferred). We even saw humpbacks and orcas breaching during our post dives on the charter boat!

Thank you for the help. It appears we will be in AK during the first two weeks in August. We do have AOW cert but not drysuit cert. If diving would not be too dangerous for us, we will obtain drysuit cert before we come.

Permit me to state my question differently: Is diving in AK (probably out of Seward) "safe" for someone with our level of experience? Or would we find ourselves way over our heads?

Thanks again for the help.

Thank you for the help. It appears we will be in AK during the first two weeks in August. We do have AOW cert but not drysuit cert. If diving would not be too dangerous for us, we will obtain drysuit cert before we come.

Permit me to state my question differently: Is diving in AK (probably out of Seward) "safe" for someone with our level of experience? Or would we find ourselves way over our heads?

Thanks again for the help.

"safe" is a relative diving term... However, Diving out of Seward is where I got my open water cert ( with Scott at Dive Alaska). I never felt unsafe, and was well taken care of on the boat. They run an excellent charter out of Seward and would HIGHLY RECOMMEND going with them, I went in July and had an excellent time.

As far as getting your drysuit cert, you can even get it with scott while you are here. But if you would rather get it before and be more comfortable go with that route. If I were you, I would give them a call at (907) 770-1778 or email them through the website at www.divealaska.net - Home

And finally, no I don't work for them, I just have had an excellent experience with dealing with them. Hope all goes well, and feel free to ask more questions on this forum. Good Diving!!

Fantastic. Thank you very much. That's what I needed to know. I think we'll give it a shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom