I have a couple bulging discs any divers with this problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomboyy

Carnival ride inspector
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've had some back pain and thought I'de get it checked out. It turns out I have a couple buldging discs. It is somewhat ok in the morning but as the day goes on it gets pretty bad.

My doc wants me to see a neurosurgeon. Is there anyone here whos gone through this ? I'm not ready to give up and go the med way , I want to dive till I'm dead :D

Any advice ?

Tomboyy
Unfortunately, I know this one all too well. I have had this problem for years, finally did something about it this year. Had no choice couldn't move without extreme pain.
I miss diving while I was in St Thomas cause of this and I was pissed to all hell missing diving there.

After 5 spinal cortisone injections from Feb 09 to Aug 09, I had radiofrquency injections - right side last month, left side just yesterday all lower spine. I got pain free and medicine free on my right side after a week of recovery. The recovery week is all pain. A pain management doctors office does the work in his office not in hospital.

The radio.. worked for me, really worked. The cort only worked for a few days.

I will be diving thanksgiving week in Puerto Rico!!! :D

I've had some back pain and thought I'de get it checked out. It turns out I have a couple buldging discs. It is somewhat ok in the morning but as the day goes on it gets pretty bad.

My doc wants me to see a neurosurgeon. Is there anyone here whos gone through this ? I'm not ready to give up and go the med way , I want to dive till I'm dead :D

Any advice ?

Hi tomboyy,

Exhaust all conservative treatments before considering anything invasive. And by invasive, I mean anything that requires puncturing the skin :wink:

A surprising percentage of the population over age 40 does have mild-to-moderate bulging lumbar discs, and are asymptomatic.

Depending on the severity, many folks are able to manage and in some cases completely relieve their symtoms through weight loss, core strengthening exercises, and flexibility training (think yoga). But it requires a major lifestyle change for many folks.

Back surgery should be an absolute last resort. There are cases where surgery is a good (or the only) choice, but if your primary symptom is pain, and the pain is "manageable", and there are no neurologic deficits, then consider conservative treatment first, and surgical intervention last.

But please do not consider any internet advice (including mine!) to be a substitute for talking this over with your doctor, and with other doctors (I strongly advise 2nd and even 3rd opinions before considering surgery).

Good luck, and hang in there!

Best wishes.

Back pain? What do you want to know? I have degenerative disc disease in my lower spine and neck. I have had to have lumbar disc surgery 4 times due to lose of leg function and uncontrolled pain. DW had a lumbar fusion due to spine instability but the surgery was a mess. She is now disabled with massive back pain, loss of function in her foot and other things related to a damaged nerve which happened during the surgery.

My surgery was a mixed bag. #1 was to fix a herniated disc. It was a new low invasion procedure but a day later it really popped and I had to have the regular one to clean up the mess. The surgeon (orthopedic) made a bit of a mess in there but I could only feel it for 10 years until it literally popped again and extruded down a couple of levels. The new surgeon (neuro) did a great job of fixing the disc and cleaning up the debris field left behind by the first guy (bone chips and poor sealing of nerve etc.)

A year later the disc below this one also extruded...had to crawl to the bathroom and could not sleep or eat for days. MRI and spinal dye studies showed the nerve impingement and resultant massive pain. Surgery fixed it.

All that was 15 years ago. I have not had surgery since but do have daily pain. Lots of it some days. Now the neck is starting up. Bone spurs and bulging disc. I am doing very conservative things now like medication and exercises but it grows worse every year. Now have bone spur in my shoulder joint. Cortisone injections help but are not a cure. Exercises don't help much..kind or hard to exercise away bone spurs.

See a neurosurgeon and get several opinions. Have a MRI. Make the Drs. explain what they want to do and what the downsides will be.

If you are only (yeah, only :() in pain then wait it out if you can. Once they cut on you things will be weaker and different than before. They have to cut through bone and other tissue to get to your disc. That can start scar tissue growth, arthritis and a weakened joint.

One doctor told me 20 years ago when all this started, that many people will self heal over a period of 5-10 years and don't really need surgery. If you can deal with the pain and discomfort...wait it out and get some solid core exercises and minor traction (be careful here).

Good luck.

Despite the daily pain and lack of full strength in my legs I still dive. Not as much or as long as I want and not without taking special precautions with carrying gear and hauling around weights and tanks. Standing around with a 40# tank and another 25# in weights is very tough on your spine. I usually don't put on my BCD until I am in the water. It makes it a lot easier. You learn to adjust and take care of your back once you screw it up.

Maybe mine is not quite the same, it is the neck rather than the back. I was diagnoised with c5 c6 and c7 all herniated. C7 was read as indicating partial to full paralaysis.

I started with the chiropractor (big mistake) then x-rays that showed nothing. MRI was next and there it was. I went to a neuroligist and was sent for therapy. I felt great for about 15 min after therapy but the pain returned every time. Then I was sent to the neurosurgen and ran througha bunch more stuff. Surgery was scheduled and OKed by my insurance.

I rigged up my own home therpy in the mean time and made some changes in my life and lifestyle. By the time my surgery was ready, I was without symptoms and was recheck by the neurosurgen. I got lucky and escaped surgery.

I still maintain the changes I made and always will. There is something to be said for making sure to exhaust every option prior to surgery.

By the Way. I am pain free and have full use of both arms, absolutely no symptoms.

Any advice ?
Hey tomboyy,
I have a protruded L-5 disk (lower back). Symptoms: Massive pain, could not get out of bed, walk, bend, sit, etc. Saw a Chiropractor. I missed a month of work but with his help and a lot of PT (but no drugs) I regained all function. That was 20 years ago. I still work as an auto mechanic and have no work restrictions at all. It will occasionaly flair up, especially if I start really abusing it or I haven't seen the Doc in a while (3-4 visits a year seems to do it). If at all possible don't do the surgery. Oh, by the way. My back always feels REAL GOOD after I dive! Can't wait for spring!

L4 and L5 effected by degeneritive disc disease. Did the physical therapy, Chiropractor made it worse, cortizone shots, more therapy. My leg buckled under me whenever it wanted and send pain from my butt to my toes. Lots of pain. Decided that surgery was what was left. I was off work for 4 months. That was 6 years ago. Fused L3, 4 and 5. Took about a year for a full recovery but it was worth it. I got certfied 1 1/2 years ago. I have a little pain once in a while, Ibuprofen takes care of that when it happens. Surgery isn't right for everyone but worked well for me! Find the best docs you can and weigh your options. There are a lot of options available today that werent around 6 years ago. Good luck! By the way, my doc cleared me for diving without hesitation! So, surgery is the last resort but if needed it is not a sentence of no Diving.

tomboyy:
It turns out I have a couple buldging discs. It is somewhat ok in the morning but as the day goes on it gets pretty bad. My doc wants me to see a neurosurgeon. Is there anyone here whos gone through this ?
Part of the issue is, do you have degenerative disease (as many do), or have you had a specific lower back injury that has caused a partial extrusion of a disc? Surgery is less likely to be ultimately beneficial in cases of more diffuse degenerative disease, than in situations where there is a specific injury at a discrete location (e.g. the L4-L5, or L5-S1 interspace). Your physician's recommendation, to be evaluated by a neurosurgeon, is very reasonable.
Depending on the severity, many folks are able to manage and in some cases completely relieve their symtoms through weight loss, core strengthening exercises, and flexibility training (think yoga). But it requires a major lifestyle change for many folks.
Very true! Strengthening both abdomnal and lower back musculature, losing the gut, using good sense in bending and lifting, getting appropiate amounts of rest - all can contribute to effective symtomatic management of low back pain.
Back surgery should be an absolute last resort. ... if your primary symptom is pain, and the pain is "manageable", and there are no neurologic deficits, then consider conservative treatment first, and surgical intervention last.
Good advice. One problem is that conservative measures may be carried on far too long, and only prolong the inevitable. Having a competent professional evaluation, with appropriate diagnostic procedures, is the right approach. Personally, I am a bit more comfortable with a neurosurgeon over an orthopedist, but either is reasonable. Many neurologists have limited experience with, or interest in, low back pain associated with nerve root compression. If you ultimately have surgery it may not be a permanent fix, does leave a certain amount of scar tissue, etc. If a vertebral fusion is required, it may address the immediate problem but may also weaken the adjacent interspaces and lead to later issues. So, surgery may or may not be optimal. But, get a professional opinion to help you decide what is right for you.

I herniated a disk almost 30 years ago doing something really stupid. Was in signficant pain for three years, got to the point where I needed several stiff drinks at night just to dull the pain enough to sleep, was barely able to put my pants on because that required bending slightly at the waist, etc. Had a laminectomy (neurosurgeon) and my immediate post-op reaction was, 'Why the H*** did I wait so long?' I turned 60 this Fall, shore dive and boat dive double 130s, and have never regretted the surgery, even for an instant. My son damaged a disc on a low level jump while in the Army, waited six years, using steroid injections, physical therapy, etc., until he could no longer feel his toes on one foot. Had a laminectomy three weeks ago, and now has the same reaction - 'Why the H***did I wait 6 years?' Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom