need help because i use too much before everybody else

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

your problem is common and nothting to worry about. The more diving you do, the more your air consumption will drop (to a point).

That said, I do have a few tips for you.

1) Don't use your hands to move around. The more flapping you do, the more air you will use
2) Breathe slowly and regularly. Breathe fairly deeply and spend as much time exhaling as you do inhaling.... to a point. Your breathing should be regular but you shouldn't be fighting to slow it down!
3) Get help with your weight and trim so you have exactly the weight you need and you can hover with ease. this skill will help you a lot.
4) Move slowly under water
5) Use visualization to relax. The more tense you are the faster you will breathe and the more air you use. Relax relax relax.

R..

Aloha, aloha scuba mom :D

Diver0001 gave a great list of tips. Just relax and have fun, you'll improve your air consumption over time.

Best wishes.

your problem is common and nothting to worry about. The more diving you do, the more your air consumption will drop (to a point).

That said, I do have a few tips for you.

1) Don't use your hands to move around. The more flapping you do, the more air you will use
2) Breathe slowly and regularly. Breathe fairly deeply and spend as much time exhaling as you do inhaling.... to a point. Your breathing should be regular but you shouldn't be fighting to slow it down!
3) Get help with your weight and trim so you have exactly the weight you need and you can hover with ease. this skill will help you a lot.
4) Move slowly under water
5) Use visualization to relax. The more tense you are the faster you will breathe and the more air you use. Relax relax relax.

R..
Thank you so much for your input. we are going diving in two weeks. im going to try your suggestions out cause they will be dives going down only 30 to 40 feet. Today we went on two deep dives (over 100 feet)and i had to use other peoples air and it was scary to me. But nice to know that i can do it in an emergency.

I used to have the same problem, when i didn't concentrate i went through my air.
An instructor in thialand told me to count to 4 when breathing in and count to 10 when breathing out. The in was no problem but out it would normally take 5 or 6, after practicing got it to 7 to 8, now i can do 10 without thinking about it.
I also found that i needed a reg with a bit of resistance when breathing out.

:cheers:

Thank you so much for your input. we are going diving in two weeks. im going to try your suggestions out cause they will be dives going down only 30 to 40 feet. Today we went on two deep dives (over 100 feet)and i had to use other peoples air and it was scary to me. But nice to know that i can do it in an emergency.

I need to gently state that you are getting in over your head, literally and figuratively. Dives to that depth should only be made when you understand your air needs and have what you need.

I agree with what Diver0001 and others have offered. Being where you are there is one more thing that can be a huge advantage and you can do it between scuba dives. Make time to get and do some skin-diving. This feature walks through what it will do for you.

Stay in the water and dive with a spirit of continuous improvement and you will improve.

Pete

Spectrum is right.

If you are having concerns about going through air too quickly, 100+ feet down isn't the place to be.

You have been given some excellent advice here.

It really doesn't matter what everybody else has air-wise during a dive... you need to not run out of air again. If that means turning a dive early, then you need to turn the dive.

Running out of air underwater is a bad thing.

You can definitely get much better by using the techniques previously mentioned, and by experience... but you need to not be diving at 100 feet until you are.

I think Diver0001's #4 was the secret for myself.
When I STOPPED, and began spending nearly the entire dive just watching small things happening in a very small area, two things happened, one I relaxed and my air consumption drastically improved, and I saw more that I had been missing.
It's not a race. Move very slowly and calmly, and you will begin to see more, as you will be less frightening to marine life, and you will begin to breath more normally.
All things such as good buoyancy, and calm, slow movement lead to increased efficiency, and overall enjoyment of the dive.

I think Diver0001's #4 was the secret for myself.
When I STOPPED, and began spending nearly the entire dive just watching small things happening in a very small area, two things happened, one I relaxed and my air consumption drastically improved, and I saw more that I had been missing.
It's not a race. Move very slowly and calmly, and you will begin to see more, as you will be less frightening to marine life, and you will begin to breath more normally.
All things such as good buoyancy, and calm, slow movement lead to increased efficiency, and overall enjoyment of the dive.

Yes and it's a feed-back loop. The slower you go the better your bouyancy control will become. The better your buoyancy control is the slower you can go....

R..

Something I discovered that really helps reduce air consumption is to start getting into the "zone" long before the dive. On the way to the dive site, whether it is on a boat or beach, start getting your breathing in order. Remember that on the boat or beach air is "free." It is also "free" on the surface through a snorkel. I find that I use less air on a dive if I spend a few minutes on the surface using my snorkel, just getting my breathing pattern in order.

Aloha Scuba Mom: Based on your experience level, you should not be diving to 100 feet. This is regardless of your air consumption. There are skills issues that come into play at that depth that you may not have mastered, including but not limited to narcosis.

Lastly: controlling breathing should not be based on regulator resistance. Rely on your own control. Try yoga.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom