deep diving on the SS President Coolidge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I have recently returned home from an awesome trip to Santo with friends to dive the Coolidge. We took it slowly but eventually got down to about 57m on our last dive and made it down to the swimming pool.

I just have a question regarding the depths we were diving as it realy didn't feel like we were going that deep and a few people said to us that diving 60m in tropical water is just like diving 40m in cold water. Can anyone give a better explanation of this theory please as my friends and I are quite curious.

Thanks
Chels

Hey, I did all my dive training in Canada in very cold water and worked for 4 months diving the Coolidge. I can tell you that 60m in tropical water is NOT like diving 40m in cold water... not close. you were VERY DEEP down at the swimming pool, getting to the point where the oxygen in normal air is reaching dangerous levels of partial pressure. You were most likely too narced to realise how deep you were :wink: The general rule is if you are diving in cold water assume 4 m deeper than actual depth. But that has nothing to do with narcosis etc, its to do with the fact that being cold will cause you to absorb more nitrogen so its extra conservatism for your dive planning.... Does that help at all?

Beanazz I'm not a sofisticate or Euro-wannabee, how many feet is 57 metres? Then I'll answer the question.

I have recently returned home from an awesome trip to Santo with friends to dive the Coolidge. We took it slowly but eventually got down to about 57m on our last dive and made it down to the swimming pool.

I just have a question regarding the depths we were diving as it realy didn't feel like we were going that deep and a few people said to us that diving 60m in tropical water is just like diving 40m in cold water. Can anyone give a better explanation of this theory please as my friends and I are quite curious.

Hi Chels,

Congratulations on your 190' dive. I suspect that you were using Trimix or Heliox. Did you go with Aquamarine Santo?

Diving in clear relatively warm water is generally "more comforting" than diving in cold water (with a dry suit) and poor visibility. The main differences seem more prevalent with people diving "air."

The underwater environment seems to be more foreboding and this seems to mitigate how the diver deals with narcosis. Personally, dark water increases the fear factor for me quite a bit when narcosis is a factor.

Wayne

I have heard this anecdotally, but I have never read any studies. My own view is that a combination of the cold and lack of light must mean that an equivalent dive in green water is a lot more challening, regardless of whether it technically affects your susceptibility to DCS or narcosis.

I have done very little cold water diving, and never been below about 40 feet in water unless I am happy to swim in a T-shirt. I know my limits.

...The main differences seem more prevalent with people diving "air."..........Personally, dark water increases the fear factor for me quite a bit when narcosis is a factor.

Wayne

I can agree to that. With nitrox at 140 feet in 20ft viz I get a decent buzz going, whereas when doing that depth in clear water I don't feel any buzz.

I'm not a very experienced technical diver, but I was really struck with how much happier and more relaxed I was on my tech dives in the Red Sea than I am at home. Being physically more comfortable (warmer, and less encumbered with weights) as well as enjoying ambient light and great visibility, made the whole dive seem almost ridiculously easy. I could see this being a tremendous trap, with complacency rearing up to bite almost immediately. Warm and clear notwithstanding, I was still 150 feet down . . .

I have done very little cold water diving, and never been below about 40 feet in water unless I am happy to swim in a T-shirt. I know my limits.

You Pussy! LOL I should be so lucky. :)

I can agree to that. With nitrox at 140 feet in 20ft viz I get a decent buzz going, whereas when doing that depth in clear water I don't feel any buzz.

I hope that by Nitrox, you mean air. If your diving EAN 32, your on the line as far as PPO2 is concerned. I'd be more worried about Oxtox than narcosis. :)

Back
Top Bottom