How to repair leaky Aqualung wraparound?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chadest

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok, I've had this mask a little while but I'm not ready to give up on it.

It's starting to leak where the rubber seal meets the glass. There is a bolt that keeps the top attached to the bottom of the mask but I've yet to take it apart for fear of making things worse.

Does anyone have experience repairing / re-sealing these masks? Should I take it apart or just spread some silicone around the inside?

Thanks for your help!

Little while? Exactly how old is this mask? If it's as old as the Aqualung wraparound I had when I was a kid in the seventies, you should probably buy a new mask. The rubber is most likely dry rotted and shrunk, possibly cracked. Although much worse things could happen down there, having a mask fall apart at depth probably isn't very much fun. Kinda hard to see yer guages.
I'd hang it on a wall along with some old Voit swim fins, and maybe a Hawaiian sling or something.
OTOH, if you're just snorkeling with it, just let it leak and purge it out every once in a while. Thet's pretty much how I dive anyway. I always have a problem with fog no matter what I do, so I just keep some water in the mask and slosh it around to knock the fog down.

Hello Chadest,

Those mask were among of my favorites because when they develop a leak you could take them apart, clean them and put it back together. If the skirt is still in good shape, it is worth a little trouble to clean it.

If you've never had it apart, soak it in hot soapy water. First take note of where all the pieces go and the direction they face. Remove the crown nuts and pull the bolts out. Remove the metal frame pieces and then remove the glass. Thoroughly clean all the areas where the skirt and glass interface and put it back together.

Couv

Thanks advice couv… I had a hunch it was 'serviceable' but couldn't find any documentation on it.

Thanks advice couv… I had a hunch it was 'serviceable' but couldn't find any documentation on it.

No problem.

I just noticed you are new here.....Welcome to Scuba Board.

c

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom