The Big "O"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thmoose51

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was supposed to dive the Oriskinay this coming weekend and the marine forecast says the weather and seas should be back to normal but I assume the vis will be shot out. Never been out after a storm like this so am I correct about the vis or am I wrong?

Don't know if a storm will have any effect on visibility while diving the "O" but you won't get more than 20-30 feet from the ship anyway. Here's the forcast for the next few days for Orange Beach, Al. which is a jump-off point for the dive:

Wed---Windy---19kkts---73*
Thur---Sunny---11.3kts--70*
Frid----Sunny---7kts-----73*
Sat----PtlCldy---3.5kts---76*
Sun----PtlCldy---5.2kts-- 77*
Mon----LtShow--7kts----74*

It's a great dive. It's about 25 miles out from Orange Beach. The ship is in good shape with lots of little urchins and some growth on it up top and pretty good wildlife hangin around. You'll have to look around for an OP who will bounce the deck. Most of them wanted an AOW cert or proof of lotsa deep dives.

I live in Pensacola and I remember a dive I did about eight or ten days after Hurricane Dennis and the visibility was 70-80 feet. The difference though was that I did the dive during the summer when the clear blue gulf stream waters push in closer and help clean things up. During the cooler months the gulf stream moves futher out which will bring visibility down.

I looked at the marine forecast and things are going to stay pretty rocky until Friday-Saturday. Things really need to calm down for several days and allow things to settle if you want to get good visibility. If I were you I would wait until the summer if you can and you will get into the 100' viz.

Here is the forecast up to the weekend:

Rest Of Today...Northwest winds 30 to 35 knots. Gusts up to 45 knots. Seas 10 to 14 feet subsiding to 9 to 12 feet late in the afternoon. Bays and coastal waterways very rough. Chance of rain.

Tonight...North winds 30 to 35 knots with gusts up to 40 knots. Seas 9 to 12 feet. Bays and coastal waterways very rough.

Wednesday...North winds 25 to 30 knots. Seas 7 to 11 feet. Bays and coastal waterways rough.

Wednesday Night...North winds 25 to 30 knots decreasing to 20 to 25 knots early in the morning. Seas 7 to 11 feet subsiding to 6 to 9 feet early in the morning. Bays and coastal waterways rough.

Thursday...North winds 20 to 25 knots decreasing to 15 to 20 knots late in the morning...then becoming northwest in the afternoon. Seas 5 to 8 feet subsiding to 4 to 6 feet in the afternoon. Bays and coastal waterways rough.

Thursday Night...North winds 15 to 20 knots decreasing to 10 to 15 knots after midnight...then becoming northwest around 10 knots early in the morning. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Bays and coastal waterways choppy to rough.

Friday...North winds 10 to 15 knots becoming west around 10 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Bays and coastal waterways a light chop.

Saturday...East winds 5 to 10 knots becoming south in the afternoon and evening...then becoming east around 10 knots after midnight. Seas 1 to 3 feet. Bays and coastal waterways smooth.

Thanks for the reply guys...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom